Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environment fog has changed functionality

Hi All
    I just loaded up an old scene from 2021 that was using Vray 5. When rendering using Vray 6 things looked very different. I looked into the issue and found out this:

In Vray 5 you could not include a light in the VrayEnviornment fog nodes but still get the fog on the GI bounce from the light. This could produce beautiful and subtle fog without the harsh beam from the light itself. In Vray 6 now with the option to Affect Atmosphere on each light this doesn't seem achievable. The lights bounce no longer effects the fog when it isn't selected.

Does anyone know if this is achievable in Vray 6?

Sam
    ​​

HI, thanks for posting. If you want only the GI from a light you could use the ray filters:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-20_13-51-22.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1191175

Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Thanks for your reply Vladimir. Unfortunately I dont think any combination of these works. If there was a 'GI only' option then yes.

Comment

Hi, what version of V-Ray are you using? I checked the V-Ray 5 update 2.1 here and it is the same as V-Ray 6? Could you also show us a example of the effect you are after and if possible a test scene?

Comment

Hi Vladimir. Thanks for your time on this. Unfortunately I cant upload a scene but have attached the effect achievable in Vray 5 hotfix 2. In the scene NO lights are selected in the VrayEnvirnoment fog dialog and 'all lights' is off. As you can see you still get the fog on the GI bounce. This is not achievable it seems in Vray 6 as either the lights effect the GI or not completely. So I get a massively foggy scene with the fog beams coming from the lights as well as the bounce...I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Hi, excuse me but I am still not able to reproduce your setup. This is what I have now in V-Ray 5:

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-26_17-02-17.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	1191714 Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-26_17-02-25.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	1191715

I have VRayLights and the settings are as you said but the render is black
            This is what happens if I enable "use all lights"

Name:	3dsmax_2023-09-26_17-05-18.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	1191716

Lights start to appear in the fog as expected.
            The same is with V-Ray 6.

Comment

Hi Vladimir - OK When opening the scene in Vray 6 some "<deleted>' lights appeared in the Fog nodes Gizmos and lights. I dont know why as there was nothing in the Vray 5 version - having removed these the issues went away! - So sorry but I dont know what was going on....thanks for your time.

Comment

Hi, thanks for confirming and for keeping us posted. I am happy that you are up and running.

Comment

Working...
                X