• Show
Clear All

• If you need to use ACES display transform at least use the right one

just a friendly reminder about ACES 1.3 and lacking OCIO support in VFB:

https://youtu.be/dJYeNiOFxys
    Attached Files
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

Nice. The Reference Gamut Compression is much nicer indeed. Still some improvements to be had in the transforms for ACES, but this indeed much better. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Hey, Marcin,

I am still confused about OCIO and ACES versions. We are using Max 2023 and using VRay's ACES implementation, alongside Nuke 15.1.

Is mP_cg-config-v2.0.0_aces-v1.3_ocio-v2.1.zip still the correct version to be using? There are three version numbers in there, lol!

I am also trying to find the correct "Studio" config to use as well, and either need to find one with the display transforms setup as color spaces like yours, or modify it to be that way. I am just not sure what to use as a starting point. On the GitHub I am finding things that don't seem to have all the version numbers in sync.

Do you know which official /ocio file we should be using to then modify to correct the removal of the utility colors paces matching the display transforms? (I am probably using inaccurate nomenclature-- I need a Studio config with the sRGB and Rec709 SDR Video and SDR Video RGC as utility spaces.)

I think the ACES folks really made a mistake removing the display transforms from the color spaces. Pedantic semantics over production utility is not a good thing in this industry. "Oh, people might use it wrong so instead we'll make it such that users need to manually edit the configs in a text editor and maintain their own versions of each config in order to achieve correct behavior-- that'll lead to fewer errors, surely!" But I digress...

Thanks for your time.

Comment

I think you are limited to ocio 2.1 with VRay 6. (at least my VFB does not open configs 2.2+)

versions in mP_cg-config-v2.0.0_aces-v1.3_ocio-v2.1
        v2.0.0 is cg config version
        v1.3 is the ACES version
        v2.1 is the ocio version

Releases · AcademySoftwareFoundation/OpenColorIO-Config-ACES (github.com)
        it should be easy to copy-paste what you need from my cg config to studio config.

new features: (I'm not up to date on this, still using 2.1 configs)
        Releases (opencolorio.readthedocs.io)

​rearranging views/displays/colour spaces was just a part of OCIO evolution in v2. nothing to do with ACES I guess.

also the ability to perfectly invert the display transform is fairly unique to ACES from what I know (it is still important design characteristic of ACES 2.0).
        Marcin Piotrowski
        youtube

Comment

Working...
        X