Realistic snowflake shader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic snowflake shader?

Was wondering in terms of physics how similar ice is to a snoflake in terms of its shape and volume and whether making an ice shader would accomplish to same goal of recreating what it would look like a realistic render scene? Anyone have experience who can illuminate how I should approach this in V-Ray 6 and make it the most efficient way possible without crushing my render times. I'm open to all ears so I'm genuniely curious to understand the meat and potatoes of this subject because with V-Ray 6 I now have the opportunity to use SSS or the regular V-Ray material with volumetric ability included in there which I'll be using to render with RTX finally. Thanks guys.

I think you may be widdling against the wrong tree trunk, snow crystals individually in close up are transparent reflective geometry, but a falling snowflake is usually already a clump of crystals, and as falling clump or fallen snow they are the same as any other loose packed particles which look white, however opaque the actual material of the particles. so subsurface scatter is probably going to be as good as it gets

Comment

Working...
    X