HDRI stuff and I am having a few issue's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDRI stuff and I am having a few issue's

OKay boys and girls I have entered into a new relm of Vray using HDRI...and man oh man do I need some help!

Here is the breakdown! with a few images!

I have ventured into the world of HDRI, Now my scene is very basic in it's setup, I have used the HDRI for my Skylight and have added a vray sphere light for some more defined shadows"set at 1.0 Multiplier"! I also set the Vray light to store Irradiance Map. I have my background using the same HDRI as my enviornament skylight. and this is what I get!

So I know HDRI is working as is the Vray light but it is to bright! so I thought it might be my Vray light making the scene overbright! so I rendered it "turned off" and the scene still lokked like the above image, I than turned of the HDRI material and rendered...and still the image looked like above... "I thought doing this would make the scene black?" Is the background image casting light since it is a HDRI? do I need to turn the Background image off as well? I don't see why thois would effect the lighting as it is just an image! well any info would help here are my settings....

Here is the settings on the HDRI material!
    Thanks
    Mathew Everett
    http://www.lappymats.com

Phillipians 4:13
    "I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me."

If you unselect the override skylight and environment in your vray settings, then the max background comes into play again. Better set the multiplier of your hdri to 0, that will make your scene black.

Vraylight with multiplier 1 is probably very low. Try rendering with only the vraylight too to see what effect it has on the overall lighting.

I don't see the adavantage of using a hdri map here. Why not use a blue skylight, together with a max direct light for sun?
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
      If you unselect the override skylight and environment in your vray settings, then the max background comes into play again. Better set the multiplier of your hdri to 0, that will make your scene black.

Vraylight with multiplier 1 is probably very low. Try rendering with only the vraylight too to see what effect it has on the overall lighting.

I don't see the adavantage of using a hdri map here. Why not use a blue skylight, together with a max direct light for sun?
      the purpose is to learn HDRI... and nothing more this is just the scene I choose to learn it
      Thanks
      Mathew Everett

Comment

ok
        Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

some HDRI probes have a different dynamic range. Hence with some you have to really crank it up to get usuable light and some you might have to lower. It just depends on the HDRI file.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I figured that..But I want to confirm that before I started to crank it down!
            Thanks
            Mathew Everett

Comment

do I crank down the enviornment multiplier or the actual materials Multiplier?
              Thanks
              Mathew Everett

Comment

most likely the material multiplier. though try each and see the difference.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

yes, the spinner in the render panel doesn't work with hdri's they have to be controlled in the material.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                    most likely the material multiplier. though try each and see the difference.
                    there was no dif. on the skylight! so It would have to be the material
                    Thanks
                    Mathew Everett

Comment

here is an update, the HDRI is set at .3 Multiplier and the Vray light for the shadows is at 1.0 I will be testing different setting for the next 30 minutes and see what will give me a better look! raising the HDRI or the Vray light!

My goal is to make this image look 100% more life like! It just screams I was rendered!!!!

am I on the right track?
                      Thanks
                      Mathew Everett

Comment

the thing with hdri lighting is that your stuck with the probes ya got. If you can go out and make em on your own to batter match your needed background, then your going to love it. If you have to use whatever you can find, then it can be difficult. Invest in some GOOD quality libraries is the best way to go I suppose.

Comment

Ya im looking into a few libraries of good HDRI's ... But I was wondering what you think of the difference in the lighting form the original final to what I am doing now! does it look more life like? what should I add to get that sence of realizium?
                          Thanks
                          Mathew Everett

Comment

ya if you look past the splotches and whats missing from the image compared to the other, I think it looks better. Sun shadow is a little too soft though. Try using a direct light instead of a vraylight.

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                              ya if you look past the splotches and whats missing from the image compared to the other, I think it looks better. Sun shadow is a little too soft though. Try using a direct light instead of a vraylight.
                              I have everything on low quaility for faster renders right now! hence the sploches!
                              Thanks
                              Mathew Everett

Comment

Working...
                              X