Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Lighting Method

Hi all,

I do interior renderings and wanted to get some opinions on interior lighting methods for a natural look. I currently use the vray dome with the vray sun as an instance to link the two. Then, I override the dome light with a colorcorrection to get rid of most of the color (clients want to see colors accurately, no blue tenge like IRL).

Does anybody else use a different method that might look better for a more natural look? Iv'e tried the straight up vray sun + environment in the past in the past but it doesn't seem to completly fill in those dark areas. Assuming it's more of an exterior method.

Example of the dome + sun method below
    Attached Files

You need to look at real life photography, and copy / analyze their look and approach.

There's nothing wrong with what you've done, but I'd be looking to add more contrast into the shot through highlights and shadows. ie could the end panel to the left be in shadow, and the far units be highlighted.

I personally don't use vray sun, instead I'll use spot lights. This allows me to paint with the light, to focus your eye and bring out the details in the scene. It's hard to describe without doing it.
    Dean Punchard > Head of CGI at HUB

Comment

suzanne_doherty Do you use the aces colormanagment? I love using it but sometimes I feel like it washes out the highlights just a hair too much. I try to match photography as best as possible. 1 main light direction, a second fill light, and very little to no light from directly behind the camera. I have never tried to use the spot lights that is very interesting. The reason I like the dome light for now is I can consistently get a realistic approach and make sure the right amount of light goes through the correct windows and matches with the sun light.

Do you think this paticular render could be improved by simply reducing the light from behind the camera (blocking the glass door behind) and simply increaseing contrast?

Comment

@suzanne_doherty​ I'd love to see one of you renderings if you're open to sharing. Sounds like you have a good understanding of lighting

Comment

I think it looks great. I think your method is the recommended method and the one I use.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I read that aces color management is really when sharing files across environments. I might be wrong. I tried it, and it makes no difference in my images.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

@glorybound​ It really just makes the colors pop a little more to me and I feel like it matches the real world colors slightly more accurately sometimes. And For the most part it does a good job contoling highlights (sometimes a little too much IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by zach_ryder View Post
                suzanne_doherty Do you use the aces colormanagment? I love using it but sometimes I feel like it washes out the highlights just a hair too much. I try to match photography as best as possible. 1 main light direction, a second fill light, and very little to no light from directly behind the camera. I have never tried to use the spot lights that is very interesting. The reason I like the dome light for now is I can consistently get a realistic approach and make sure the right amount of light goes through the correct windows and matches with the sun light.

Do you think this paticular render could be improved by simply reducing the light from behind the camera (blocking the glass door behind) and simply increaseing contrast?
                Defo try reducing your fill lights to add contrast.

I have tried using ACES, and it's great, but things like Photoshop aren't really up to handling the files in a simple way yet, thats why I dont use it.

Instead I generally use Filmic Tone Mapping in the frame buffer, and I like the default Hable settings, and use the White Point to control the burn areas.
                Dean Punchard > Head of CGI at HUB

Comment

Originally posted by zach_ryder View Post
                  Hi all,

I do interior renderings and wanted to get some opinions on interior lighting methods for a natural look. I currently use the vray dome with the vray sun as an instance to link the two. Then, I override the dome light with a colorcorrection to get rid of most of the color (clients want to see colors accurately, no blue tenge like IRL).

Does anybody else use a different method that might look better for a more natural look? Iv'e tried the straight up vray sun + environment in the past in the past but it doesn't seem to completly fill in those dark areas. Assuming it's more of an exterior method.

Example of the dome + sun method below
                  I know what you mean re colour accuracy. To clarify, do you use a neutral temperature vray sun, then (colour-corrected towards neutral) vray sky map in the dome light?
                  www.meetup.com/3DLondon

Comment

Originally posted by sjmoir View Post

I know what you mean re colour accuracy. To clarify, do you use a neutral temperature vray sun, then (colour-corrected towards neutral) vray sky map in the dome light?
                    That is correct.

Comment

you don't need to use aces tonemapper while rendering with wider gamut of acescg. modify it to your liking or try something completely different.
                      regarding desaturated sun and sky - this might look a bit too sterile, like a studio photoshoot. nothing wrong with this look but our atmosphere provides us with quite beautiful play of warm and cold tones.

thing to note here: default sky turbidity in VRay is one of those defaults I consider quite misleading - try something more realistic, 5 and above.
                      Marcin Piotrowski
                      youtube

Comment

PRG clear sky which is the latest and greatest sky model, as far as Im aware, locks turbidity. Which sky model do you end up using?
                        Website
                        https://mangobeard.com/
                        Behance
                        https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

Originally posted by seandunderdale View Post
                          PRG clear sky which is the latest and greatest sky model, as far as Im aware, locks turbidity. Which sky model do you end up using?
                          Hosek et al. model.
                          so previous latest and greatest.

Chaos never responded regarding turbidity scale used in UI but to me it looks like it matches the model.

Marcin Piotrowski
                          youtube

Comment

Are using a map on your dome or dome by itself, plus your vray sun?

Comment

Originally posted by Luma3d View Post
                              Are using a map on your dome or dome by itself, plus your vray sun?
                              VRaySun+VRaySky map on dome.
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X