Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quad p4xeon

guys, guys listen up
    someone just told me (actually persuade me to buy) about quad processor p4xeon..
    about S$8000 (us$5000)
    anybody has any experience with that kinda machine?
    Dominique Laksmana

why do that when you can get a dual opteron(dualcore) for way less the price and way more the performance.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

hmmmm....
      i see.....
      or is that anything called quad opteron ??

by the way, da elf, how many bucket are you seeing in dual opteron(dualcore)? eight?(i mean while rendering_
      Dominique Laksmana

Comment

Does it come with an OS because WinXP Pro and WinXP Pro x64 can only support two physical processors.

And to answer your other question, you only get 4 buckets on a dual dualcore Opteron.

Dan
        Dan Brew

Comment

I have a dual single core opteron which gives me two buckets. a dual dual core opteron will give you 4 buckets (and will still run faster than a 8 bucket xeon however take a look at this notice from Boxx tech i recieved in my email, its for a quad processors system, the one shown at siggraph, this will give 8 buckets as well and if i know anything about AMD (and BOXX) it will outrun anything an intel machine can put together

4-Processor Workstation Update

Previews indicate unusual level of interest

Since BOXX demonstrated the new 4-processor workstation at SIGGRAPH 2005, the response from the Visual Effects community has surpassed all expectations, even before the product's official launch. This heavy-hitter is destined to soon occupy a critical position in the creative pipeline of many studios.

The increased control and flexibility over the entire workflow is significantly enhanced by the ability to produce previews of final scenes where previously one had to wait for final renders. For many of you, the ability to combine real workstation functionality with significant rendering power is what makes the 4-processor BOXX workstation a sure winner. We are certainly encouraged by your enthusiasm. You will be the first to be informed of the official launch!

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

so da_elf, may i know the specs of your machine with dual core opteron and how much? i look around and they said this dual opteron is great also. thanks
            Dominique Laksmana

Comment

re-read what i said. i said i have a dual (single core opteron) machine which i bought from boxx almost a year ago now when they 1st came out with them. so i paid 3700USD for it. te price of it is probably waaaay less than that by now. probably about 2000 or something

Comment

ok thanks man
                Dominique Laksmana

Comment

I just priced a

dual dual core amd opteron 265
                  2 gigs of RAM
                  250GB HD
                  ASUS K8N-DL motherboard
                  Quadro FX 500 Video Card

plus the case PS etc for $1745.00

Comment

sounds better than us 5000

Comment

saturn,

where'd you price that at?

V Miller

Comment

I seriously doubt that a dual dual core opteron would be faster than 4 XEONS with HT enabled that would render with 8 buckets...
                        If XEONs are 2GHz well... maybe. But if they are 3.6Ghz or something near that... there is NO chance that even the higher opteron would bit a PC with 14.4Ghz... and 8 buckets.

Comment

ujwee....remember to buy some really good earplugs or other sort of ear protection...dual xeon 3.6 sounds like a jet, imagine 4 !!

Comment

Originally posted by dennis
                            ujwee....remember to buy some really good earplugs or other sort of ear protection...dual xeon 3.6 sounds like a jet, imagine 4 !!
                            yep
                            Or run it watercooled...

Comment

yep yep too!!
                              =:-/
                              Laurent

Comment

Working...
                              X