Vray Renderman Compliant?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Renderman Compliant?????

I know Vray is a completely different animal but is there any way that it could happen....through a tranlator plugin or importer or something.
    I'm just thinking of how cool it would be to import scenes from programs like Massive.

Just hoping....
    -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

hmmm...thought massive was crowd-sim...but um...well.....yeah :P

Comment

After massive dumps the animation informations to the host app (like maya...) it's then up to you to texture, light and shade the scene.

So i'd suggest you to sit tight and wait for the VRay for maya beta testing to be over with :P

Comment

This is from the Massive site:

"Massive's optimized RenderMan pipeline avoids writing huge amounts of data to disk and enables highly efficient rendering of large Massive scenes with RenderMan renderers (Air, 3Delight and PRMan). Mental Ray support soon to be added."

I'm assuming that Massive writes out a scene file in RIB format that would include all the crowd sim data as well as any terrain models that were imported, lights and cloth sims etc and could be renderd in the above mentioned Renderman compliant renderers. I just got to thinking that it would be cool....since Vray is moving toward a standalone version...and i seem to remember it running on Linux too. Any thoughts Vlado?

Comment

Well....there´s still one problem.....you need massive :P

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
            Well....there´s still one problem.....you need massive :P
            Is the price tag for Massive still $100,000?

Comment

No. http://www.massivesoftware.com/purchase.html
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

well since they add mental ray support, vray standalone support should be possible, too

my guess is they use things like rib-archives for saving rendertime and memory
                those are similar (tho' not exactly) to vray meshes on disk

Comment

Originally posted by mike.edel
                  well since they add mental ray support, vray standalone support should be possible, too

my guess is they use things like rib-archives for saving rendertime and memory
                  those are similar (tho' not exactly) to vray meshes on disk
                  From what we saw at Siggraph, the Vray scene file will look very much a like a rib file.

Comment

I stand corrected

I thought the maya interaction was also what determined the renderer of choice...
                    It does seem it's used as a source for actors, and just as a quick preview through the particle cache...

I can't see how the RIB format, though, would allow for a smaller footprint on disk.
                    Wouldn't a standard binary format with some sort of compaction algorythm be just as big (or small)?

Comment

The .vrscene file format for the standalone version is not renderman compliant, for various reasons; however I'd imagine that a translator is not too difficult to write.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

writing to disk isnt about the disk usage
                        its about rendertime-optimization

instead of loading the whole scene to memory you could only load the parts that are currently needed.

Comment

ah, cheers Mike.

So it's all about on-demand accessibility of parts of large datasets, rather than pure diskspace (indeed, it's what renderman seems to be all about...).

thanks again,

Lele

Comment

Vlado.....could you post one of those scene files. I wouldn't mind taking a look at one, just for curiousities sake.

Comment

Working...
                            X