Cant balance my ceiling/lighting !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant balance my ceiling/lighting !

Ive just started on this simple space (1.5 RC2 on WinXP SP2)- everything seemed to be going ok until I tried to brighten up the ceiling - ceiling needs to be bright white high gloss / enamel type of finish. No matter what I do, I cant get the ceiling to brighten up without blowing out the ceiling altogether. The posted image is an extreme example of this, but this is the general problem im having. I've tried a variety of different colour mapping methods & settings, but all to no avail. Its either too dark or totally blown out. The scene (the dark version) is at this link if anybody can take a look and tell me how to keep the room approximately "as-is" but get a whiter ceiling....
    https://www2.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?...AWyImIyspcTkS4

Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Hi ..

i cant download the file but try to override the floor as it is grey and will be making your ceiling grey. so use an override material and set it to off white i guess.

N
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by natty
      Hi ..

i cant download the file but try to override the floor as it is grey and will be making your ceiling grey. so use an override material and set it to off white i guess.

N
      Second that ! Use the Override (GI) material on the walls as well, so that the GI solution is made out of mainly white materials. Best of all this you are getting the render in 1 pass.

Best regards,
      nikki Candelero
      .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Thanks. A new day, a new start. I'll give the override thingy a go within the next hour or so. Here is another link to the file just in case it all goes wrong again...
        http://www.capsuledesigns.com/files/Tmp/Lighting.zip

I had a lot of problems with this ceiling and had to redraw the curve several times. Im still getting some wierd splotches/wied reflections up there.
        Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Comment

What is that material you are using on the ceiling? its not vray?
          Natty

Comment

O that ! forgot to remove it. Its an override material used for quick, cheap & nasty adjustments in colour. I actually had turned it off as it wasnt helping. I was trying to use it to up the ceiling 'whiteness' without blowing it out. You can just drag & drop the original vray material out of the override. You can trial it here
            http://www.af-video.com/index.html?p21765089422

Comment

i had written a tutorial on how to do this for people before 1.5 but then when vlado introduced the override material i just knew it would become obsolete

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Check your mail dude.
                Natty

Comment

did u sorted this out?
                  Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                  nuno@ene-digital.com
                  00351 917593145

Comment

no - not really. i tried the override material, which looks very handy, but it didnt solve my problem. I can see from Natty kindly sending me an email that you can certainly 'balance' the scene, but it wasnt giving me the results i was looking for / I didnt have time to play with the alternative setup. i have to hand this in tomorrow so i will probably render some different passes & fix the ceiling in photoshop. heres where im at, & i still have to add in some more details/people etc...

Comment

The scene i sent you resolved this issue and looked fine?
                      Natty

Comment

i got to play with it last night...don t know exactly what s the look ur after...

but the ceiling eas easily brighten up...
                        Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                        nuno@ene-digital.com
                        00351 917593145

Comment

where were you using your override material? just on the rooff? you need to use it everywhere. basically with downlights your not getting light on the cieling if you have a dark floor. so its the walls and floor that more need the override than the cieling

---------------------------------------------------
                          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

i did not use any override materials...i just got rid of the one used on the ceiling
                            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                            nuno@ene-digital.com
                            00351 917593145

Comment

Natty - your use of the override material on floors & walls gave a nice white ceiling (albeit with some overexposure on the sides of the ceiling). The overall lighting was very flat though and I decided to go back and try to fix my original setup instead as I didnt have enought time to get my head arouns the alternative lighting scheme and GI solution. I can see that you've pointed me in the right direction, but I didnt quite get it to a satisfactory state. Using the override material I found that the ceiling became overexposed too easily, so I took it off. I'll try adding it back again with a less bright diffuse colour and maybe that will help.
                              Ene.xis - what GI settings are you using ? Im trying to keep it fairly moody, with subtle shadows on the floor from the entrance mullions and some dramatic lighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X