Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiplier theory

I've been making lots of interior 3D's lately
    And to create a lightfull image I crank up the receive GI in v-ray property from 1 to 1,3-1,7. (except for thing on the outside)

This usually creates perfect lighting situations for me, though I never read anything about this technique in any of the topics I've read.

I was wondering if there was anyone else doing this, and if there is a down-side to it all.

greeting
    Leon

It sounds to me that you are trying to get the scene "brighter." This is probably because you don't have enough light in your scene, or you are not using the proper LWF. Either way, increasing the receive GI does not sound like a good idea at all, as changing the "physics" of how lighting works generally is a bad idea.

Comment

Could you post some pict made with this technic ?
      =:-/
      Laurent

Comment

Indeed I use this technique to increase the brightness, and yes it is not a natural way, but changing the
        "dark multiplier" (in color mapping) isn't natural either.
        I like to think of it as, longer exposure time with a camera.

Here is the comparison, without and with

Comment

the ceiling has some bad GI in the second image, I wonder if this is due to low settings or your changing of the properites of the objects
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

it is because of bad render settings

fast rendertimes, shitty GI

Comment

It looks to me exactly like I said. You are not using a proper LWF and are trying to correct it with the GI multiplier. Basically the room lighting looks way off to me. Th ceiling looks self illuminated... because it is. Following a proper LWF would allow you not to resort to such measures, and may actually even decrease your render times.

Comment

okay, seems resonable
                worth a try, at least

What do you think I should add or change.

Now I have a direct spot 0,7 , and GI environmental override 0,7
                (and some local spots with maximum range)
                And colormapping dark 1,5 - light 0,9

(LWF is an unknown term to me)

thanx for c&c

Comment

all those numbers you just gave, become kind of meaningless when you switch to a pure LWF method, as they would most likely need to be changed. As to the LWF itself, start doing some forum searches and set aside some time for some reading. lol

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

There are about a million threads all over the internet on the subject...

Like this one right next to your thread:
                    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=17356

But a better one is this:
                    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=15303

Things to keep in mind:

Your lights will need to be darker
                    Your shaders will need to be darker

If you look at image without the proper sRGB lut on, it should look dark, very contrasty, and saturated. When the sRGB lut (approx 2.2 gamma), it will be perfect.

Best way to test it is with a vraycam, vray sun, and vraysky, since these are set up for linear.

Comment

hey Chris,

Ive just finished the second of your dvd's. They are v good. Have learnt a lot, and am trying to use LWF as my thread you pointed to shows.

Has your method of setting up a LWF changed from your dvd now the button for srgb has been added? Do you set the preferences so your bitmaps has 2.2 added to them for example, as i didnt notice you doing that in the dvd?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by m_hinks
                        hey Chris,

Ive just finished the second of your dvd's. They are v good. Have learnt a lot, and am trying to use LWF as my thread you pointed to shows.

Has your method of setting up a LWF changed from your dvd now the button for srgb has been added? Do you set the preferences so your bitmaps has 2.2 added to them for example, as i didnt notice you doing that in the dvd?

Thanks
                        It depends on how you work. If you paint your textures linearly (I did), then you want your gamma read to be linear too, meaning 1.0 gamma. If you want to paint your textures in a "standard" way with the monitor gamma burned in, a 2.2 gamma on the read is the the way to go.

The sRGB button was not available on the version of Vray I was using. The only thing it offers is not having to put that curve thing in.

Comment

Thanx percydaman for the wake-up

And thanx percy for the given threads, makes me very confused, as it did a lot of people. Got to test and find a routine.

Cant read all the threads, wouldnt have a life left.

Comment

Just a question to you, cpnichols

You say to use vraycam, vraysun, and vraysky

Is using the "GI dark, GI light multiplier" still nessecary, or obsolete with lWF-m3 setting like Vlado said ???

Or environment override for that matter??

For the next picture I changed:
                            - gamma on monitor (lcd) to 1.0
                            - got rid off spots, entered vraysun and vraysky
                            - environment overrride off
                            - GI dark/light to 1/1
                            - used a vray cam

Looks natural but still like a dark tunnel
                            and the sky color is really dark (found more threads on that one)

any more help is much appreciated
                            I like the learning

Comment

set the gamma in the color correction roll out to 2.2
                              re adjust ur camera
                              and play some more with the color mapping

what do u mean by "GI dark/light to 1/1"?
                              Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                              nuno@ene-digital.com
                              00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                              X