No announcement yet.

Chandelier help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percy - I re-rendered my image overnight. The good thing is that it only took 4 hours rather then 12 hours like before. I took the tables out for now so that could be one reason for the faster render time. The image is noisy and it looks quite bad though. You said that ".85, .003 is pretty much overkill for qmc settings. It was before vlado readjusted qmc and it is even more now. I frequently use .94, .05-.15" I was curious since the default setting is .01 for the threshold, did you mean .005 -.015 by any chance? I usually render out all of my images with either .003 or .001 at the default .85 to get cleaner images but the rendertime take much longer and what you said about Vlado got me thinking about those settings. By the way, I checked out the Arnold Imaging website on your profile last night and you guys do some amazing work.

Comment

no I never go .005 anymore. .01 is the new .005 with the release of vray 1.5 I believe. But .005 was always kinda overkill to begin with. But it really depends on the scene. Not alot of glossies? You can certainly get away with lower quality qmc, unless you have just a ton of area shadows going on. Wheres the noise showing itself? If its in shadows, then try raising your subdivs on any vraylights. Then tune your qmc samples until they start to look right. If you feel your using a pretty high quality irrad map, then store the vray lights with the irrad map, you'll lose a little shadow definition depending on irrad map quality, but itll render quicker and will get rid of noise.

I throw in all kinds of evil tricks on my renders. Like high interp samples on my irrad map to smooth out the irrad map then use a rendered out dirtmap to bring in shading detail in small areas. Sometimes when I have grain issues, ill just take the render into Fusion and use its grain removal tool to remove alot of the grain.

Glad you like the site. Its always in need of updating. The boss is adding some Extreme Homemaker stuff we finished recently

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Percy - You guys definitely need to post more images on your site. I closed out wanting to see more. I'm looking forward to checking out the Extreme makeover stuff.

My QMC settings are only at min:1 max:4. The noise is not necessarily in the shadows, but more on the curtain and wall. I'm going to play around with this file and see what I can come up with. I really appreciate the help thus far. Thank you so much.

Comment

well if your using adaptive qmc for your AA and are using 1 , 4; thats fine, but then ya you need to use reeeeally good quality global qmc settings to get rid of noise. Only do this if you have precalced your irradiance map, as you dont need that high global qmc settings to get good quality irrad map. The old global qmc settings when using adaptive qmc for AA was .7, .001-.002. Im not sure what the proper settings is these days. I dont use adaptive qmc so much anymore since we upgraded our farm to 64bit, so memory isn't an issue.

If you hit up the website and click on the extreme homemakover logo, there's a few stills. I think they accidently got uploaded as gifs so they are horrible quality.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

So your saying that if I pre-calulate my irr map using standard settings, I will be able to change my AA settings to .7, .001 (for instance) prior to rendering out my image and the new settings will override the standard AA settings used in pre-calc for the final render?

Comment

well for starters you'll be seperating the memory hits that will happen during the render - you'll still have some overhead of loading the irmap into memory but not the hit of calculating it.

Comment

Originally posted by jophus14
                So your saying that if I pre-calulate my irr map using standard settings, I will be able to change my AA settings to .7, .001 (for instance) prior to rendering out my image and the new settings will override the standard AA settings used in pre-calc for the final render?
                basically yes. QMC global settings come into play both when creating irrad map AND when actually rendering. adaptive qmc AA requires pretty high qmc settings, so high infact that it would be massive overkill to use those settings for creating an irrad map. So when using adaptive qmc, yes you're best to precalc your irrad map without actually rendering your image, save it to your HDD, and load it when rendering the final.

Comment

Working...
                X