Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Sampler & Anti Alias Filter ?

Can anyone shed some lights on:
    - What's actually the difference between them? For me, it looks like they both doing the same thing (?)
    - Why and when do you need to use antialiasing filter? Or, is it enough to use just Image Sampler?

Thanks

Harry
    Harry G

Maybe this helps:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...ge_sampler.htm

Basicly antialiasing calculates the image based on values and method given.
    Antialiasing filter will filter that image after that. Example you can sharpen
    edges or blur some noise with it. It's working in subpixel level, so it's more
    accurate to do that kind of calculations with image filtering than doing it in
    your post program.

Someone can explain this much better, i think. Just my toughts.

-LarsSon
    Lasse Kilpia
    VFX Artist
    Post Control Helsinki

Comment

What pretty much happens is when two colours meet along an edge, the filter will either sharpen the edge by increasing contrast where the pixels meet, or soften the edges by reducng the contrast between the two. The filter size controls how far away from the edges is taken into account when calculating the anti aliasing.

They're normally categorised into sharpening or softening. Sharpening produces a more crisp realistic image such as mitchell or catmull - use this if you want to see razor sharp fine detail. Softening filters make edges more blurry such as soften or video and they can sometimes help to reduce problems in animation such as fine patterns slowly panning across a screen.

They generally perform a look or a quality function.

Comment

The image sampler decides how its going to go out and gather the samples, while the antialiasing filters decide how the samples are going to be used.
        -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Working...
        X