Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST SETTINGS/LIGHTING FOR NON PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERS

Hi All,

we are all often concerned to achieve more and more detailed and realistic renderings. Despite of this I often need to present my architectural drawings/images just like mockups or monochromatic illustrations. This because in the early stage of design a certain abstract level of representation is required or simply because the image content doesn't require to be photorealistic. I'd like to share with you ideas/opinions/works about HOW TO achieve best results which in this case from my point of view means fastest rendering with very simple scene setting-up. Finally, my question is, How to properly ILLUSTRATE with our best loved rendering engine Vray? This could sound just like an odd question or a misuse of 3dsmax which is mainly used for photo-realism. Regardless of this standpoints, I claim "conceptual" renderings can be as fascinating as best photo-realistic ones are.

Here three tests I did comparing lighting and settings with time. For all the models I used IRR (MEDIUM)+QMC , ADAPTIVE Image Sampler. The three main images are 320x240, Material Color is GREY 111, The plane has some blurry reflection.

First I tried with what is supposed to be the best way to get such kind of rendering.
    1) INDIRECT ILLUMINATION+Environment override

Pros
    Very quick set-up
    Overall good mood
    Fastest rendering
    Cons
    Depending on the model illustrated may lack of details. The image shows surface and edge flattening due to absence of a real light.

PS
    Note how in the second image I moved away just a little the ground plane to get the shadow at the intersection point.

2) HDRI ILLUMINATION

Pros
    Clear results in terms of edges and colors.
    Good overall light conditions
    Very easy setting-up
    Cons
    Rendering time increases relating to model size
    Depending on your hdr image, light and atmosphere may be unpredictable.

3) ENVIRONMENT+Vray Light (usually rectangular)

Pros
    Clear and sharp result
    Convenient time

Cons
    Depending on your model you may need light and material color tests

Two More image I did.

VRAY SUN+SKY

HDRI

So I can conclude that for simple scene/model I recommend GI+Environment override. For more complex models HDRI or rectangular light maybe preferred.

What's your experience/work about this topic? Do you know any way to produce sharper image just with GI+Environment override even with detailed models?

ENVIRONMENT LIGHTING ISSUE

As you can see this lighting method produce very smooth image which is a failure when you don get clear edges and incorrect surface shading. It seems the light does come just behind the viewpoint/camera perpendicular to the view window. This may cause a flattening over the objects close to the view. Do you know any way to avoid this?

Good stuff kafka82

For me dome light with a good HDRI works really great.

Ingo

Comment

in 1st solution, u use a GI environment not direct lighting. so ur shadows are depending on the GI solution. higher settings , better shadows.

Comment

MANY THANKS FOR REPLYING TO ME

Il do some tests with the dome light, but usually It takes very long times compared to HDRI only and depending on the model results are very often similar.

X giraffe
        I know Im not using any light this because I seek for very fast setting up. Often using any light needs some tests but my aim is to get the fastest method compared to quality.
        Do you know any way how to improve shadows just with GI Environment.

Comment

Rather than rectangular light, I'd prefer vraydomelight and put just anything I want in the texture slot (vraysky, vraycolor, hdri, gradient maps, etc) and get sharp shadows & details.
          Of course, rendertime is longer than using GI environment override / max environment.
          Harry G

Comment

Here some new tests with DOMELIGHT+HDRI as Texture Map

Generally I found the overall quality pretty similar to rectangular light+skylight. The shadow quality and reflections are of course undoubtly better but time increases specially on my machine

The main trouble Im encounterig using domelight+hdri is I cant figure out the intensity and direction of shadow. How do you control shadow and light intensity ? Moving the hdri map horizontally/vertically is very tricky for me...as I cant predict the rsult. Does The material slot preview what is just in front of model? and Then what about rotating the domelight...how to control the shadow direction?

With a rectangular light I can have a hint by previewing the light intensity in the viewport...but with domelight isnt possible!

Furtthermore, some hdri produce boring color cast to be corrected.

Comment

Well for the light direction it is fairly simple. just put your HDRI that you put in your texture map in the doem light in your max environment. Then turn it on in your view port as back ground. That way you can preview your HDRI and see where the hot spots are. I usually create another camera just at the opposite side wher i want my light to come from then i rotate the hdri until i have the "sun" in the right spot. I leave the domelight untouched.
              Shadow and light intensity depends on your HDRI mainly and your exposure if you are using a cray cam which i recommend. So if you have an HDRI with a very clear and defined sun (very bright) you will get very hard shadows e.g.
              I guess you will gather some HDRIs that will fit your needs after that it is very simple. Another way of controlling shadows is to blur the HDRI but then we are back to trial and error.

I hope that helps

Ingo

Comment

if your going npr why not throw in vrays toon shader as well

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
                X