Clear All

• Hiding vraylight from reflection

how can i prevent the vraylight from showing in reflections
    sigpic

Set "Affect Specular" to off in the light's settings

Thorsten

Comment

Hi,
      another trick is to hide it behind an object with primary visibility off.

Dieter
      --------
      visit my developer blog

Comment

i believe there is an option to turn this off in newer builds
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
          Set "Affect Specular" to off in the light's settings

Thorsten
          that did the trick, thanks...
          sigpic

Comment

If you turn off specular, none of your geometry will reflect this light, and it looks really bad compared with leaving specular on; I don't get why this changed from 1.4x to 1.5 -it's a real problem that needs a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by davidr
              If you turn off specular, none of your geometry will reflect this light, and it looks really bad compared with leaving specular on; I don't get why this changed from 1.4x to 1.5 -it's a real problem that needs a fix.
              actually thats incorrect. It just wont reflect a 'fake' specular. When I use real geometry lights, i frequently turn off all specular fake highlights in my vray material as I'm getting proper specular reflection with my geometry light.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I'm not using any fake spec in my mat, just blurry reflect and refl map, ie: reflect is more than 0, refl glossiness is usually less than 1, and sometimes there's a map in the reflect slot (also diffuse and bump) -that's it, very basic. By fake spec, do you mean hilight glossiness -I never use it. I also have another light issue to do with light size and intensity. In 1.4x I used a big vray light, 48x5" mult 18, and because it's reflecting, I replaced it with 2 1x1" mult 900 vray lights, because that's the real light size, so if it reflects, fine. The problem is that I get zillions of 1 pixel white spots. Any ideas? Thanks. btw, how the f do I post an image without a url? I don't?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                  actually thats incorrect. It just wont reflect a 'fake' specular. When I use real geometry lights, i frequently turn off all specular fake highlights in my vray material as I'm getting proper specular reflection with my geometry light.
                  this is actually also incorrect

What david said is also incorrect, but allow me to explain:
                  The way vray treats specular and reflection is not a separate components. There is no separate reflection and specular. What vray does is treats these like direct and indirect reflection. Where direct reflection is a specular, and indirect reflection is a reflection of objects. Furthermore, the reflection and specular are mixed together to return correct result. One without the other is not an accurate result.
                  Mental ray arch material works the very same way.
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel
                    Originally posted by percydaman
                    this is actually also incorrect

What david said is also incorrect, but allow me to explain:
                    The way vray treats specular and reflection is not a separate components. There is no separate reflection and specular. What vray does is treats these like direct and indirect reflection. Where direct reflection is a specular, and indirect reflection is a reflection of objects. Furthermore, the reflection and specular are mixed together to return correct result. One without the other is not an accurate result.
                    Mental ray arch material works the very same way.
                    interesting, didn't know that. But that doesn't mesh with a project I did recently. I was matching a photograph, and I had this highlight on the floor that I couldnt get to match with the photograph. After unlinking the specular highlight and the glossy highlight and setting it to 1.0, the render looked very close to the photograph. Rather unscientific, but it sure worked for me.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

the funny thing is, I dont know why specular is called specular. Because in real life there is no specular, thats a known fact. On wiki it says that specular is a perfect mirror like reflection. So its reflection, why did they call it specular, make everyone confused.
                      What I do know for a fact, is that in 3d, and any self respecting renderer such as vray or mr, specular does have a true bit to it.
                      If you have an area light such as reactangular, and you make the shader have only specular, no reflections, then make the specular very sharp, the shape of the specular will be reactangular, like your light. So, there is some form of raytracing thats going on even with spec. And to add more to this strangeness, maxwell has also component called specular. Why? if its physically inacurate...
                      Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:

Comment

i suspect the term 'specular' has been in the lexicon of 3d graphics too long. I do remember now that vlado said that just the specular highlight function he added 'did' have some form of accuracy now found in the purely fake max specular highlight, but I still think that when you reflect a geometry light and have both glossy reflection and glossy highlights turned on, it appears brighter then it should be. Like its getting double hit or something. Remember vlado only added that highlight after being bugged repeadetly to do so by vray users. And then only after some prodding. I still use it alot, just not when Im only using geometry lights.

Comment

actually this has been discussed. The simplest test is to take a light, mesure its white point value. Then compare that in a pure reflective material. With and without glossy highlite.
                          Dmitry Vinnik
                          Silhouette Images Inc.
                          ShowReel:

Comment

I did a simple test like you said. Its pretty obvious that the glossy/specular render is alot brighter then just glossy or just specular.

Ill tell you what though. It doesn't speak to vray's physical accurateness if someone is forced to use both the specular highlight fake, along with the 'supposed to be' correct glossiness highlight, in order to get the correct value.

Comment

same problem

Hi,
                              Im solving now same problem.
                              Have a scene with blurred reflection(using just reflection glossiness) on two parts, floor and some metal cylinders.
                              Im using Vray lights+exterior skylightmat+some planes with vraylightmat for lighting interior.
                              So If i render everything except floors looks to me correctly.Cylinders seems to have good blurred reflections, but floor have reflection+Vraylight affect specular "feature"....the big light colored reflection which look non-realistic.
                              Now Im solving how to switch these Vraylight speculars off, but achieve the same reflections(nice, contrast'n'bright) on cylinders.
                              I achieved it with vraylight speculur affect off and additional amout of exterior light(skylight+planes(with vraylight material)) which reflecting in cylinders and causing more contrast and bright reflections.... But now have problem because this solution is working just with (color correction subpixel off+clamp off) and this causing dark/bright artifacts around bright areas(mainly light materials,highlights).
                              Another solution crossed my mind.... I cannot use Vray lights any more :/
                              Have anyone better solution?
                              Thanx

Comment

Working...
                              X