Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayFur -> sheep and wool texture

Hi everybody

i have to do a realistic sheep, or as realistic as it can be.
    since Vray doesn't work so good with hair and fur (or maby am i wrong ?)had I some little questions.
    i have played around with VrayFur and those are the questions :
    1) is it possible to twist VrayFur or is it always strait or blended ?
    2) is there a program or any possibility to paint the direction of the fur? i can't really understand how to drow/paint the blend/texture of VrayFur, to be precise.
    3) is there a possibility to blend multiple textures along a VrayFur ? and if it is, can it be editable proportionally to the hight of the VrayFur ?

or, is there any possibility to have shadows with Hair and Fur and Vray Lights? when H&F is set as buffer.

finaly, does anyone has a idea or a hint to do some wool texture with VrayFur or hair and fur ?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_of_sheep.jpg

Thanks for all

Best Regards

Stan

ps : sorry for my poor english, i'm french
    3LP Team

Hi there,
    i had some questions but nobody reply, maby weren't hey good asked.
    But i have to do a lamb for a job and i have to use fur and i would like to have more info on Vray Fur.

I have to do some fur like those pictures i took :

Maby do you guys have any idea on how make these kind of fur, i don't know if it's possible with VRayFur.
    I think it can be done with maps in VRayFur but i don't understand how it work, with color give wath direction, etc.
    i searched on the Vray Help but i couldn't understand how it work, does someone has some example or know some tutorial where i can lurn to use VRayFur.

Does someone know any program or plugin that can be used to paint directly on the model to have the fur changing.

Thank for all.

Stan
    3LP Team

Comment

VRayFur cannot be twisted unfortunately; you can paint the other textures using a Vertex Paint modifier, and then using a Vertex Color map inside VRayFur.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

could probably do sheep wool with displacement - depending on how close you need to get to it.
        WerT
        www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I have been doing something similar and am pretty happy with the results.

First I rendered a zdepth image of 3dsmax hair & fur that I had played about with until it looked right (low res image below). I used this as a vraydisplacement map which gives the result on the left hand side of the image below, I then used the same zdepth image to control the opacity of the 'fur' by putting it into a mapped gradient ramp. As you can see it gives the vraydisplacement a much softer feel.

Attached Files
          Last edited by peterguthrie; 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM.
          www.peterguthrie.net
          www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

can't see any images but am really intrigued!

Comment

no? hold on, i'll try and fix it...

I should probably add that it doesn't exactly render very quick! (due to the opacity)
              Last edited by peterguthrie; 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM.
              www.peterguthrie.net
              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                I then used the same zdepth image to control the opacity of the 'fur' by putting it into a mapped gradient ramp. As you can see it gives the vraydisplacement a much softer feel.
                By "Z-depth" you mean "height map" right? Like the same texture map you used for the displacement you also used to mask the opacity.

Looks cool. I'd be interested to see how it holds up in a turn table animation.

Tim J
                www.seraph3d.com
                Senior Generalist
                Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
                Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

That does look good, for your opacity map have you tried turning filtering to none? Can speed up opacity a bunch, at that detail though, not sure if it would hold up.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

I did have the filtering to none... still took ages though!
                    www.peterguthrie.net
                    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                      ps : sorry for my poor english, i'm french
                      Ive not had much experience with fur&hair but interested to see what results you get in the end.

peterguthrie - not bad, i reckon from a distance it might look sheeplike but the displacement doesnt work up close.

I remember someone did a really classy displacement map for a wicker chair ages ago, some kind of variation on that map might work.

Ps, no need to apologise for your english, after the world cup last year you should apologise for being french.

(joking!)

Comment

Hello Peter,

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                        I have been doing something similar and am pretty happy with the results.

First I rendered a zdepth image of 3dsmax hair & fur that I had played about with until it looked right (low res image below). I used this as a vraydisplacement map which gives the result on the left hand side of the image below, I then used the same zdepth image to control the opacity of the 'fur' by putting it into a mapped gradient ramp. As you can see it gives the vraydisplacement a much softer feel.

wanted to ask you a couple of questions about the technique you describe here.
                        1) how do you get the opacity to map along the 'length' of the displaced geometry, so that the ends of the fur is translucent? Is it something you do in the uvw mapping of the displaced object or is in the material settings for the gradient ramp?

2) what kind of displacement and what settings are you using for the displacement?

Thanks,
                        Tom.
                        Tom Livings.
                        INFXstudio.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X