VrayLightMtl + VrayPhysicalCam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayLightMtl + VrayPhysicalCam

Still on my exploration of lights in Vray. I tried to light a scene with a simple lightbulb. the lightbulb itself is molded like a real one and the light element is the light source and it's the only one iin the scene. I applied a VrayLightMtl to it and put multiplier of 200. Mr IR settings and LC are very high(see below). I am using realworld scale units.

First problem: Light seem ok as it goes far of the light source but very splotchy in highlight.

Second problem: The direct light emmited by the VrayLightMtl do not affect the exposure of the VrayPhysicalCamera, it's visible but not overexposed, so I can't acheive a realistic result.

IR settings:
    HSph:100
    Clr Thr:,2
    Dist:,1

LC settings
    SubD:2000
    sample:,01

thanks for your time
    Attached Files

I would try turning up the light mat up a lot and box in the bulb with vray area lights set to portal.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

I tried to turn it up to 5000, the highlight spot are still there.

so you can't simulate a realistic light with only the vraylightmtl without the help of another light? What about affecting the camera exposure, Is there any direct light to the camera lense?

Thanks

Comment

Put six area lights around the bulb, with the lights set as skylight portal.
        As ReRender said, that will help the GI calculations ENORMOUSLY.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I played around with the scenario a bit, with high enough settings it "may" be possible

my lightmat was at 20000 btw, with less surface area for the emiter it will need to be even higher.

The light material seems to shoot out a few very overbright rays, turning on clamp and sub pixel in the color mapping helps some but they are still there of course.

The upcoming object lights will probably be the best bet but until that you might try creating the filaments out of stretched vray sphere lights.
          Attached Files
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

There was/is a formula floating around the forums that gave you the multiplier for a given light source if you input the desired lumens/candelas and the surface area of the bulb. I can't seem to find it tho.

Comment

Working...
            X