vrayedgestex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrayedgestex

what is the MAIN controllling factor that will ensure the crispest lines in rendertime and does anyone have a standard workflow for doing what i do here in my architectural renderings

this is for materials that are "jointed"

i use the vray edgetex over a rgb color on a vray material to do panel joints on smaller scale scenes when its not important to have a diffuse map

when i have to do joints over a diffuse map, since the vrayedgestex takes up the diffuse map

i do a composite material using a material with a diffuse map texture as the base, and a vray material with an vrayedgetex over the diffuse and in the opacity map to negate its diffuse rgb color

it takes very high sampling to get extremely crisp joint lines from the vrayedgetex, any good workflows for this?

rereading this, its a little cryptic, as per the process to get the effect above with a vrayedgetex

i am getting really "crunchy" edges, i assume this comes down to anti-aliasing?

Comment

I still don't really understand what the problem is, maybe a screenshot with your settings and render? Are you using pixel sizes or world sizes in the vrayedgestex?
      Colin Senner

Comment

sorry

im trying to find out what the main factor is in getting the vrayedgestex to be absolutely sharp as a knife edge

im using adaptive qmc at 1/8 and its finally very sharp, but the render time is just very slow, i was wondering if that was the only way to sample the sharpness or if there was another way that would not take so long

i work with a lot of people that dont understand how long these things take, and they are just way too demanding for these render times, maybe im biting off more than i can chew in terms of realistic scheduling

Comment

also, im just trying to find out if the way im trying to get this type of a texture, basically a panelized system, which cannot be done through the procedural tiles map, is the most efficient way to do it using the vrayedgestex, and if anyone else uses it in a similar way

I cant post the image here, its a private government job and I would be risking my job if anyone ever saw it (national security) here

Comment

I'm sure a simple scene setup would be fine if you want to whip one up.
            Colin Senner

Comment

can i send you the file to take a look at? id just rather not put the whole thing up here for everyone

Comment

I meant just mock up a quick box scene, but you are welcomed to send a (small) sample scene to my email if you like.
                Colin Senner

Comment

I use edgetex all the time and use Adaptive DMC for my Image Sampler and Catmull or VRayLanczos for the AA filter. I generally get good results with quick render times.
                  Attached Files

Comment

everytime I use it, it's just plain fast and always very sharp. Using Adaptive Subdivision with object outline on, min max at -1/2
                    Schoonheid vertroebeld de geest

Comment

If you want knife edge why are you using vrayedgetex ...? I tot it's for making the edge look rounded anyway!
                      if you need anyway .. maybe set the light weight to an extremely small number, maybe it will work.
                      Studio Max 2009 x64
                      X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

sorry all, been away, and under an extremely tight deadline

vrayedgetex worked great, i was using it for panel joints in a very detailed ceiling that goes on for about 1000 feet with every panel modeled separately, upped sampler to 1/8 on adaptive qmc and it worked great

thanks all

Comment

yes but how to simultaneously achieve a edge texture and a bitmap on a object?

for instance doing a tile pattern using edge texture and the brick texture using a diffuse map

anyone do this?

Comment

i got it, vrayblendmtl, vray edgetex in diffuse and opacity, one in opacity white

Comment

Working...
                            X