Fresnel Glossy Reflections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresnel Glossy Reflections?

Hello, I use subtle glossy reflections on nearly all matte-ish materials, including masonry, wood, dirt etc. It is usually just a subtle effect but I find it adds some realism. One thing I've always wondered is if it is more realistic or accurate to use fresnel reflections in this case or non-fresnel reflections. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Generally all materials are more reflective when viewed from steep angle. Fresnell doesn't exactly apply to all materials but its often a good aproximate, if you want better control you could use Falloff or BerconGradient maps in reflection slot with fresnel disabled.
    http://www.ylilammi.com/

Comment

Yeah what Bercon said. If you want to be more accurate, there are a few lists out there that say what sort of material has what IOR. Keep in mind for something like polished floorboards, you're looking for the IOR of the polish itself and not the wood. Same thing with concrete - often in interiors if it's used "raw", it will have some form of polish.

Comment

Technically, Fressnel's formula apply only to dielectric materials (non-conductive hard materials). In other word you dont use Fressnel on metals. Some people still use it with something big like 15-20.But, as allways, use whatever looks good to you. You're right:all materials show some reflectivity. Even sooth has 3% reflectivity!!zoran

Comment

Working...
        X