Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LC and Ir maps @ rendertime svaed re-use to smaller animation files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LC and Ir maps @ rendertime svaed re-use to smaller animation files?

Hi, I`m busy doing a 1000 frame animation i`ve pre calculate the Light cache and the IR map..and saved it..

Now i must start to render..the complete animation..frms

The subdivs were at 2000 when i were doing the pre LC and IR. calc..Now my question is if i`m going to render out my animation scene..must i still keep the subs at 2000 or can i drop them to 1000 or so?

Unless you are using LC for glossies just turn secondaries off, they are already stored in the irmap.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Sad rendering times

dude i`ve lost you,,,my subdivs were at 2000 and i saved it for the LC and the map for the IR is also saved..

Under light cache - Subdivs that was 2000 i wanted to make now 1000..but thinking about it now the map will anyways over ride those setting wont it becourse we say render from file(using the saved map lc/ir)..
      One frame renders at 2hours with Xeon 3gigs 8 ram and i have 1000 frames ..its going to take about a month and half to render screen size Pal 720x576

Anyways i was just hoping for some trick or some thing to get each frame rendered quicker..we dont have rendering farms this side and sending over to the uk or usa will cost me 3 months of salary.. "dis mos lekker tos" -

Comment

ok now i`m with u

this is a sample scene check out img. both Lc and Ir maps saved ..

i have lots of glossies is that what you mean look at floor reflections the new scene as also people in it billboards that reflects on the floor

do you think if i disable the lc it will help with render times may be i must just render one frame and see

Thanks man

Comment

you don't have to use precalculated LC for the final rendering, UNLESS you're using the LC for glossy reflections (quote from the vray help: Use light cache for glossy rays - if this option is on, the light cache will be used to compute lighting for glossy rays as well, in addition to normal GI rays. This can speed up rendering of scenes with glossy reflections quite a lot.)
          otherwise the LC result is stored within the irradiance map, so theres no need to load it separately.

now for cutting down render time: the way I do this is that I render the irr/lc pass with high noise threshold settings (like 0.01 or 0.005 - in vray settings/DMC sampler tab), but for the final rendering I use lower settings - like 0.1. This tends to dramatically improve render times, but be aware that it can also influence your images.

edit: from my experience, setting the noise threshold to 0.1 does not influence the lighting stored in saved irr map, it also has an effect on stuff like glossy reflections/refractions etc.
          but since I llike my images a bit grainy in some areas - this doesn't bother me that much

also upping the 'adaptive amount' to 1.0 can speed up the renderings - but ONLY in final rendering pass, otherwise the image will get messy.
          Last edited by palibebeh; 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM.
          the purpose of a ninja is to flip out and kill people.
          the purpose of an architect is to flip out and design for people.

Comment

add to help speed up rendering time

Thanks for the advice.
            tell me i was under the impression that DB were used for large still images only.

The manual gives me the impression that you can use it for still animation frames as well ?

I have 4 pc`s with one Vray and Max... to make a workable note i said workable rendering farm for these do i have to buy 3 extra vrays or rendering nodes or something. or can i just install my vray on these other pc`s and say they are rendering pc. and then use the Db function so that the main pc has help (cpu power) to render
            making a rendering farm is tuff also have you heart of a manager called Muster is that anygood ?

Comment

just install your purchased vray on your other pc's as slaves (render only nodes) Setup the licenses as mentioned in the pm to you. On one of the other 3 pc run backburner manager. Once its running, then run backburner server on all 4 computers. On your 1st pc you can also run backbruner monitor to see what is going on. (for some reason on my side you can't run monitor and manager on the same pc)

Then when you render in the general tab select "net render". under system in render make sure vray "dr" is switched off.

Hope that helps
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Dankie ou maat

thanks man. sorry i didn`t phone you back,was going hecktic here...i`ll let you know if it worked i just cant touch my pc`s now it rendering so ya i recon the animation will be finished middle April only i`m just staring at the monitors for now lol

Comment

Working...
                X