Noisy Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Reflections

I've been trying to wrap my head around the issue I'm having with one of my renderings. I have a gym scene that has mirrors on the walls and rubbery floor that you would typically find in a gym. It also has suspended ceilings with recessed fluorescent lights.

The problem I am having is with the reflection of the vray lights bouncing off of the mirrors and creating a VERY noisy reflection(second bounce) of the lights on the rubber material.

Here is the image in question:

You can see the noisy reflections from the lights in the mirror onto the floor. The only solution I have come up with is to remove the mirrors in one pass and re-render with them on for a second pass. Does anyone know a solution to this?

My settings are

They are not full settings yet, but even with full settings the noise still shows.

I've played with everything from bumping up the SubD's to 64(on the mirror and on the floor) and fooling with the noise threshold to no avail. When I remove the Mirrors, the noise goes away. If any more info is needed let me know.

Thanks much!

What AA settings are you using ?

Comment

By AA you mean Adaptive amount? If so .85. Noise threshold is at .01

Comment

nope i meant what type of AA (Adaptive DMC, or Adaptove Subdivision) and what settings

Regards,
        Thorste

Comment

AA stands for anti-aliasing, it's the setting that fundamentally determines the quality of the pixels that VRay produces. I'm with Thorsten, looks like you're using adaptive subdivision and it's set too low.
          ShaunDon

Comment

Here are my settings for AA, sorry for the confusion, my bad.

Using Adaptive Subdivision, min 0 max 3. should I be using DMC instead? And at what settings?

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

with a lot of glossies i would definately suggest DMC. for starters i'd say 1/6 and lower the noise threshold to 0.003 or use universal settings as a starting point (Forum search will enlighten you :P )

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Lol, been searching all day and night. also I have the Vray compete guide and couldnt find the solution to my issue. Thanks for all the help, this community rocks as usual. I'll post up when I get results from your suggestions.

Comment

Hey 3DLVIZ,

another try would be to render your scene with an middle grey override material. So you can exclude sources of your bug like material settings...

Kai
                  Regards,

Kai Hopermann

yoose3d

Comment

Working...
                  X