mask pass workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mask pass workflow

What's the simplest way to generate mask passes in Vray? it doesnt seem like the surface shader or shading map shaders work very well.

Let's say I want to generate an R/G/B pass with a black hole shader holding out some other objects.

Whats the best way to go about it?

B

Maybe the rendermask script, available at scriptspot? Only downside is that it's gotta be done in separate passes (as in manually). Renders very quickly though.

b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

do they have that for maya as well? or just max?

Comment

just max I think. I didn't pay attention to the thread title, sorry about that
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

PSD Manager

If the PSD Manager works in Maya it is worth every cent.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I use the mulit matte pass to generate the needed masks for compositing.
            This is pretty easy to use and a lot faster than creating different mask passes by hand.
            VFX Supervisor @ www.parasol-island.com personal website www.dryzen.com latest reel http://vimeo.com/23603917

Comment

Originally posted by paulDryzen View Post
              I use the mulit matte pass to generate the needed masks for compositing.
              This is pretty easy to use and a lot faster than creating different mask passes by hand.
              I kinda figured out how to use the render ID pass... how does the Multi matte work? Is it antialiased or does it require a coverage pass of some sort?

thanks!
              B

Comment

You can use either the multimatte or material ID elements; they are both antialiased. For the multimatte, you need to assign object IDs to your objects through the V-Ray object properties node, or you can assign material IDs to their shading groups. The material ID element will show the material ID color assigned to the shading group, while the multimatte element allows you to choose either red, green, or blue color mask for objects with a given object ID or material ID.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

wow multimatte works fantastic.

Thanks!
                  B

Comment

Working...
                  X