translate dome light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• translate dome light

is there any way to translate the dome light? It seems locked to world space, which kind of means you have to move your whole scene around to get it to line up correctly.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Bryan

The actual position of the dome light does not matter (it is assumed to be infinitely away always).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

is there a way to toggle it from being infinite to have a "virtual" radius? (ie lookup rays would pretend to intersect a sphere of finite size.)
      infinite behaviour is ok for outdoor scenes, but the virtual sphere setup would help a lot on reflections of interiors and such. really trying to avoid the textured sphere approach.

while we're at it, the texture placement node where you can specify rotations, could use add'l maya control like uv frame coverage and offsets.
      this way you could pan the HDRI around and line it up to the horizon, w/o having to pre-treat it, like adding a blank lower half in the image, etc...

or am I completely missing the mark?

thanks for a pretty cool renderer.

-c
      Last edited by sirogi77; 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Right now there isn't a way to make it finite other than making a mesh light with a texture (in which case you can also use the regular Maya texture placement options), but unfortunately this will not use any importance sampling on the texture. I'll make a note to look into it though.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

oh, great! thanks for looking into it, really appreciate it.
          have a few jobs coming in that would greatly use this feature.
          do you envision it more like a feature to be added in the long haul, or a tweak that will be in the upcoming release?

thanks again!

-c

Comment

Working...
          X