Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows HPC server 2008 supposed to increase rendering speed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows HPC server 2008 supposed to increase rendering speed...

Hi,

I stumbled upon those 2 windows HPC promotional articles today:
    http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies...x?casestudyid=
    http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies...yid=4000004226

They are filled with marketing tag lines and bigger than life declarations. But basically they are saying that windows HPC allowed them to render quickly. As far as 45% faster... And I quote:
    "Glukoza has found that it can complete renderings up to 25 percent more quickly with its Windows HPC solution than with its previous environment. “Plus, we anticipate that we’ll save another 20 percent when we upgrade to Windows HPC Server 2008, due to the additional increase in our efficiency as a result of using the newer product,” says Evdokimov."

Both article talk about using 3dsmax for their rendering. I wonder if vray would also work too and what are the actual benefits that help increase rendering speed by such a factor...

Are they any real benefit for those of us wanting to build a render farm, in using windows HPC? Or are those articles just marketing noise just like all those before/after get slim fast or acne ads. A mix of exaggeration and specific case generalization?

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
    Little Antman
    See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
    Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

That really reads kinda weird. And the thing that puzzles me most is "45% faster" than WHAT ? "Previous Environment" can be anything from a 100 node rendercluster to 2 368 (with the turbo-button!). Plus it doesnt mention how much more the new environment costs...both initially and while operating...it leaves out half of the equation i think.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Working...
    X