CG Truck and Anti Aliasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CG Truck and Anti Aliasing

I thought I would share this post about a CG Hummer I worked on. I attempted to explain Vray's anti aliasing and how you can use the show samples option to tweak the aliasing.

http://www.ruffstuffcg.com/journal/d...-aliasing.html

Ruff

Thanks for sharing Ruff. Comparing Quadratic and Soften filter, what's made you choose soften? B'coz you can adjust the blur value?
    i7 2600k (OC), 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX560Ti, Win7pro, 3dsmax 2012

Comment

Heya

I've finally read it ! Quite interesting, but I'd go with Blend filter... it allow to blend fixing lights hot spots + keep the edge when necessary...

By the way ruffstuff what is your idea of filtering at 5-10-15k render size ?
      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

You know I think that Blend filter was an idea that Frank Delise threw out to an engineer and he implemented it. Back then he was the product designer and was an application engineer. We would always throw a blur on a second layer in Photoshop to soften up the look. (The blur and the opacity of the blurry layer) But now I'd rather keep it sharp and do that effect in post. At the same time, I anti aliasing does more at the sub-pixel level than some blur in composite.

As to the larger formats, I'd have to say that I haven't really thought about it that much. Are you thinking the anti aliasing should be scaled with the render size?

Comment

Humh

Well from experience I can go as low as 1/3 DMC... but then depending on the textures I can lose detail, so depending on scene if I have a lot of tiled textures and so on ( low camera + road for example) then I have to go up. I wonder if I can somehow separate AA on models and textures, to keep sharp textures and soft models, its quite handy the blend filter if your chrome got nice round reflection instead of jagged one.
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Working...
          X