NPR Airbrush- Metal Vray Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPR Airbrush- Metal Vray Material

I've been struggling with trying to modify the typical cell shadder tutorials you find on the web like this one: http://www.bluesfear.com/tutorials/3Dcellshading.php to come out more like this one: http://www.khulsey.com/photoshop_painting_tutorial.html
    Does anybody have any ideas how to approach the Vray Material and set it up to mimic what Kevin Hulsey is doing in Photoshop? Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

well his stuff is very hand painted, so youd have a hard time getting anything so nice out of vray, however the metal effects he has there remind me of how we used to do reflections before raytracing was practical. if you look in the max maps folder theres a file called "lakerem.jpg" if you put that in the reflection slot of a standard max material, and set it to spherical environment, youll have an extremely fast rendering fake aluminium effect.. that map in particular works very well and was my default choice back in the day. you can play around colour correct ing or blurring it in photoshop to get different effects.

Comment

ooh yeah, second that!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, do you think playing with a staggered fall off map in the reflection slot would also help contribute?

Comment

do you mean a gradient ramp set to falloff mode? yes it might give you some nice results.. only way to be sure is to try it out.. id definitely recommend playing with the standard max material. in many ways its a bit more flexible than the vray material for doing stuff like this, as it was designed in the dark ages when stuff like this was the only way to get a decent render, and pays no heed to realism.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartridge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	843979Click image for larger version

Name:	fleur de lis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	843980Thanks for the tips, I've done some experimenting. Used a Standard Material with the lakerem.jpg in the reflection slot, a staggered fallof map for both the diffuse and self illumination slot. Also added vray dirt map to the falloff colors as well as a vray toon for good measure.

Comment

cool.. id maybe suggest bumping up the contrast in your lakerem to make it a bit more punchy... also maybe blur it a bit

Comment

Working...
              X