VRay RT Rendering Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay RT Rendering Method

Which rendering methodology does VRay RT uses (MLT, IM, PPT, LC, QMC)? Also why is it so much faster than CPU rendering?

I am thinking of upgrading to V2.0. In addition, I am planning on upgrading to a dual six core Xeon machine by this summer. I would like to know more about how VRay RT works so I can best determine if I would be better off investing into a multi GPU machine rather than a multi CPU machine. The results of VRay RT look amazing. Is there any reason to still do CPU only rendering now?

well.. yes. firstly the gpu version of RT only supports a small subset of all the vray features, and secondly, while its much faster to get a preview image using RT than full Vray (in most cases..) its almost always faster to get a clean image using full vray, since it allows interpolated effects such as the irradiance map.

maybe in the future when the gpu version supports more features, it might make sense to produce production work there, but to be honest, until Rt can take some of the shortcuts the full version can, it will always be faster to use full Vray for production work (if you know how to get the most from it...)

personally id go for more cpus over more gpus at the moment, but thats just me.. a couple of beefy gpus for previews, and scene setup, but a nice farm for distributed rendering and net rendering on full fat vray.

Comment

Working...
    X