Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

displacement with non-adjacent mapping coordinates ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• displacement with non-adjacent mapping coordinates ?

Hi everyone.

I've done a little testing, to get rid of (a lot of) holes in my displaced geometry.
    This is, what I've come up with.

When working with textures you are always confronted with applying mapping coordinates to your objects.
    The more complex the geometry gets, the more important becomes the ability to 'break it up' to flatten it into uv space.
    Anyway, when the mesh gets choped into peaces (which then can be placed anywhere on the uv-plane) it happens that faces
    that are normally adjacent in the mesh are no longer adjacent in uv-space. What I mean is this:

the mesh:

its maping coordinates:

Ok, this mesh wouldn't actually need to be unwraped, but it's an example

Now, the problem is that when these faces are displaced using the above mapping the object is splitting up.

I guess this is simply because there are always slightly different colors on both sides of the edge:

Displacement reacts VERY sensitive to such small variations.
    Even filtering or edge padding (render-to-texture, bodypaint,etc.) can't fix this.

The only way I found to get rid of these openings is to either use procedural maps or to drastically increase the texture size.
    I don't know why. Because the filtering gets more accurate or because the colorchange per pixel gets smaller?
    Anyways, increasing the texture size isn't always an option (for example, when you are already at 3K).

Even the 'keep continuity' switch in the displacement-mod can't fix this. I don't know how it works exactly. Does it blend the color values of differently displaced faces near the edges (which should solve the matter ?!?) or does it just bend the normals in the right direction.
    Perhaps Vlado might give us a little insight?

Has anyone solved this problem, or made some other interesting observations?
    Vlado, if you are reading this, you obviously have thought about this as well (considering the presence of a 'keep continuity' switch).
    It would be great to hear your opinion.

please let me know...

thanks
    nuts
Working...
X