Rolling Shutter compensation in rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Shutter compensation in rendering

Everyone knows that rolling shutter is a pain when it comes to track source plates and match CGI.

Andersson Technologies just released a white paper on the subject of rolling shutter compensation.
    http://www.ssontech.com/content/RollingShutter.pdf

Active rolling shutter compensation is part of Syntheyes 1208 workflow, but the paper also provides information on how to apply this approach to 3d render engines - basically producing renderings with virtual rolling shutter for better match with source plates.

I know Vray is perhaps not a typical VFX render engine such as Renderman, but I still find the subject of rolling shutter compensation to be very interesting, and frankly quite useful for those suffering it. Perhaps Vlado could give a brief estimate on how complicated such thing would actually be to implement in a renderer such as Vray.

Using cameras with CCD sensors is of course much more useful because it eliminates the problem with rolling shutter completely. But getting your hands on good CCD cameras today can be quite difficult because most mid-range camera manufacturers favour CMOS sensors instead, which are prone to suffer rolling shutter.

Any thoughts and inputs are welcome.

well nobody replied to this at the time, but its a good question.. i want to comp some stuff into some lo-fi phone footage, but it suffers, obviously, from rolling shutter. rther than trying to fix it, i wish to match the look of the phone footage.

is there a way to add a rolling shutter effect to the vray motion blur system?

given practically all cameras suffer it these days, it seems a sensible feature to have.

Comment

Foundry's Rolling Shutter plugin can also add it not only remove it as far as i remember.

Cheers,
      Thorsten

Comment

i fear that any post effect like this will be sub-optimal, since the information isnt really there. either to add it or fix it. .does it work well?

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
          i fear that any post effect like this will be sub-optimal, since the information isnt really there. either to add it or fix it. .does it work well?
          It's of course sub-optimal to some extent, but it did quite a decent job even for removal when i last dealt with it. I think they have discontinued the nuke version? Not sure, been a while.

Cheers,
          Thorsten

Comment

Working...
          X