Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matteShadow like render in VRay?

hello,

even if my account is much older i started using vray just some week ago and now run into my first problem. (don´t know if this is more something for the wishlist but for now i´ll post it here)
    if i had to render product shots before in mentalray i was usually using the mip_matte_shadow material for the ground which gives an easy way to get a nice mask for shadows and/or reflections (and/or occlusion) on white (or whatever color) background. i thought in vray i can use the VRayMtlWrapper for this but can´t get it to work in the way i want.

for sure there is no option to include the reflections in the alpha like the shadows but as long as i have an reflective material as a base material it seems to add those reflections on my groundplane which results in float values above 1 and therefor also has influence on my shadows. if i set the wrappers reflection amount to 0 it will give me the expected shadows but for sure much darker. i´m aware of the fact that i can work around this in compositing at least with reflective occlusion as extra tex like i found here http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tuto...ing-v-ray-2-0/ but i´d like to achieve this effect with as less compositing as possible. another thing is that if i set the enviroment in mental ray to a white color it will not be seen by the matteShadow in the reflections but the wrapper in vray does.

conclusion: anyone knows how to get to a similar result like in mray? and for the wishlist part of my posting: is it possible to include reflections in the wrappers alpha and giving the chance to exclude the enviroment reflections?

actually i´m a bit confused and hope you understand what i want to tell you

kind regards
    seppel

Not for MR but the latest nightly build of V-Ray now has an alpha channel for the reflection and shadow in one so there is no need to composite the two together. More on this here: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...dow+reflection

Comment

hey james, thanks for your reply. to be honest i already saw this in the vray mtl but its not the same like the matteshadow or at it least i´m not able to find a way to get a setup like this. my main problem is that i need a possibility to achieve a result like in the attached pic without any compositing (if it makes sense or not in case of this project i just need it) which is very simple in mray but seems not possible in vray.Click image for larger version

Name:	matteShadow1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	846356 left side mray: matteshadow groundplane, right mia_x / left side vray: mtl wrapper groundplane with reflective base mat, right side the same material like used in the wrapper. pic was done before i testet the alpha attr. of the reflections in the vray mtl but that doesnt make a big difference because f.e. if i have just 50% reflection amount the alpha around the reflections will only be half transparent which makes sense but is not what i want. also like you can see in the shadows on the vray side they blow out when using reflective base material.

Comment

Reflection alpha for matte objects is implemented for the next service pack (and is also in the nightly bulids). It gives you exactly the same result as the mr image.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hey vlado,
          thanks for replying. i apologize if i understand you wrong or i`m just to stupid but i`m not able to find this kind of attribute in the current nightly (22495). should it be already there?

kind rergards
          seppel

Comment

Sorry, I did not realise this was for Maya; we have it in the 3ds Max nightlies - it will get to Maya soon. Apologies for the confusion.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

no problem, thank fo clearing this up.

Comment

Anything on this? We could really use this from time to time.

Comment

Unfortunately not yet.
                  But I hope it will be implemented soon.
                  Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Comment

Is it available now for maya? on 2.3 it isn't.

Thanks
                      Johnny Grilo
                      http://www.square-zero-one.com/
                      https://www.facebook.com/squarezeroone

Comment

There is an easy workaround to make this happen. If you apply vray dirt to the plane with occlusion set to reflective, and match the blur value, you will get pure black and white info (like alpha) of your reflection.
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by joa_grilo View Post
                          Is it available now for maya? on 2.3 it isn't.

Thanks
                          This option is not available yet. As a workaround you could use the approach provided by Dmitry.
                          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                          X