Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shadows are blurry and hard ??

hi,
    in the center of my image my shadows are blurry and soft yet those that are closer to image edge have harder edges to them,
    I'm not sure as to why this is so, but I am thinking it is because center of image is brighter (vignetting is on, turning it off doesn't make mush difference) i am using Vray physical camera, Vraysun,
    any ideas, seems odd but i guess there is a simple explanation for this (something I haven't checked)

Click image for larger version

Name:	shadows.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	877672

Thanks
    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Seems it has to do more with thin objects vs thick objects. The walls are thin, the house/building is "fat"
    in vraysun try setting your shadow bias to 0.2mm and shadow subdivs to 16
    Does it make any difference?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Cheers,
      I tried it but no real difference
      i knocked off secondary bounces as i thought it was light bouncing off wall (in rear garden) that was softening it, - kinda getting there,

regards,
      T
      Last edited by tom182; 27-05-2013, 07:23 AM.
      Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

What you are looking at is not shadow (soft one) its shading. There is two different things here. The shading is the microshadow on the surface of the material if you will, so that could appear soft. Picture this, if you light a sphere with a directional light the shading on it looks soft.

To get soft shadow you need to increase the size of your light, for example if its vray sun, then you need to increase the sun size, or if its an area light increase the UV scale of that light.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by tom182 View Post
          Cheers,
          I tried it but no real difference
          i knocked off secondary bounces as i thought it was light bouncing off wall (in rear garden) that was softening it, - kinda getting there,

regards,
          T
          If you make the floor and walls a dark gray how does it look?
          maybe 40,40,40

I think you're right, it's the bright sun bouncing of the very white wall
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Working...
          X