Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverted Normals - No reflections ?

Hey there,

I posted this already on cgtalk, but I did get the tip to post my question here.

My issue is that I often have to deal with CAD Data and I need to come up very quick with some results. Most of the time I donĀ“t have enough time to make the Mesh clean so I work with what I get.
    It often happens that the Nurbs surfaces come with different normals directions. So some surfaces are looking in correct direction some are not. This unfortunately makes problems, since for Nurbs, there
    are limited modifications or tools especially for surface direction. The problem I have is that, if I render the geometry, reflections are ignored on the inverted pieces. That does not only come up on Nurbs,
    this also is on polymodels.
    First I thought the doublesided feature should take care of this but unfortunately it did not. I created a little test scene to demonstrate the difference between mental ray and vray and the little option on the
    mia_material_x that helped me to ignore this reflection problem.

You can take a look on the post and screenshots here.

Cgbeige aka Dave Girard recommended to post here and ask Vlado here about that.
    Would be glad about any help on this.

Thanks in advance

Duke

I have the same issue. I never really got around to solve it other than flip normals by hand. Usually in max as max do not break their smoothness as maya do. In any case try vray 2side material maybe... not sure if that would work but worth a try...

Thanks, bye.
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Reflect On Back Side option in VRayMtl do not work ?
      www.deex.info

Comment

Oh s*** . . . I completely missed that attribute! That is emberassing . . That works fine Thank you

Comment

I suppose bigbossfr's suggestion is a very quick way to fix this. You can also turn off in maya's viewport two sided lighting, and set to use default material, this way the objects which normals face in the wrong direction will show up black in the viewport, just a good way to visually see what is not correct. You then can do some ops to fix it like flip normals etc.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

A very cool Tip. Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
            X