Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure : Masterizing SampleRate

Hello,
    I don't want to pollute the fantastic thread "Understanding DMC Sampler ", so I started a new one instead.
    I'm trying to reproduced the best technic described in this tread, but frankly, the result is disappointing, very very long render time and bad quality (7hours here, using IM + LC!!!)
    1 HDRI dome light, trough several windows with sky portal vray plane, and some spot (but not powerful enough to light anything compare to the skyportal).
    Light sampling have been boost to 256 and the material sampling to 96.

Red Area= oversampling : supposed to be only on the edges (where oversampling are necessary). But looking at the RGB, it's still very noisy, especially inside the hood
    Green, yellow area = what does it means? Looking at the walls, there is still a lot of "shadow spot", making blurry aspect, like a noise map in the material (but it is not the case)
    The scene have a lot of reflection material, could it be the guilty element?
    Looking at the size of the sample file (550Mo!), It sounds there is too many sample or it doesn't mean anything?
    Wondering if I am not a SR addict finally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GI.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	878827Click image for larger version

Name:	DMC.JPG
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	878828Click image for larger version

Name:	VRayBeauty.jpg
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	878829Click image for larger version

Name:	VRaySampleRate.jpg
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	878830

I would set the subs for the ir map to 60 and the interp samples to 40 (to begin with)

(try min shading rate at 1 instead of 2)

What is your AA set at?
    We will also have to see your refl element and gi element and lighting element
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Here it is:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	VRayReflection.jpg
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	850332Click image for larger version

Name:	VRayGlobalIllumination.jpg
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	850333
      AA set to Adaptive but there was no image filter anyway (to speed up the rendering)

Will test again, with your advice of 60/40, but tonight because 7h render time is really not good to fine tune render setting.

Comment

typing in wrong place!
        Last edited by tricky; 15-11-2013, 07:38 AM. Reason: error
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Looking at this I'd say that your GI is the pass with all the problems in it which is kind of separate from the AA / sampling nonsense. Your samplerate pass is very red as you've got your colour threshold down at 0.003 which is insane. Put it back to 0.01, drop your aa to 1/16 which is generally fine for every render. Same with your DMC sampler threshold, put it back to 0.01 as this is probably okay too. Now try putting up your raw lighting and raw GI passes - I'd say all the crap and mottled look is all down to your GI - Having glossy surfaces reflecting in other glossy surfaces is a tough situation sampling wise too.

Comment

Like joconnell said, first try to figure out what exactly is causing the noise - the different render elements (lighting, GI, reflection, specular) can help you find out. Then increase the subdivs just for that component(s).

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sorry, I've been taken by the swirl of life. Just got a new lovely baby girl and I struggle to keep everything done. But I will be back on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                Sorry, I've been taken by the swirl of life. Just got a new lovely baby girl and I struggle to keep everything done.
                Congratulations!

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Congrats on the birth of your daughter! Now you will have plenty of time learning VRay when she is up crying at night!

I 3rd what joconnell said. Sometimes, because we don't understand what we are seeing, we start making lots of changes in many different areas of vray and then nothing seems to change. Once you learn how to break down where the problems are coming from, it will get a LOT easier!
                  Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

Working...
                  X