• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalmaps for Anisotropy or other features

Hi there,

I found this (unavailable) option "mapping" in the "UV vectors derivation"
    rollout.

I thought it could make sense to use normalmaps (directx)
    for giving a material Anisotropic Vectors, due to a normalmap
    stores any direction by a unique color.
    (No idea yet how to produces them for that kind of use)

I also could imagine to use normalmaps for a faster additional
    displacement. Like, calculating a real displacement map, than converting
    this to a normal map, and render just the basic geometry + normal map
    It would be much faster when it comes to gi calculations wich are still veeeeeryyy slow when using displacement.
    (ok... still faster than in any other renderer)

I made some tests with viewport normalmapping, and it just looks
    great compared to bump mapping.
    I think normal mapping could make sense in various ways within
    a non realtime renderer like vray

However, just some ideas... =)

cheers

sam

All this sounds cool and I agree but until then, would you know of any way to convert a normal map into a grayscale for use as a displacement map?

--Jon

Comment

I dont think it would be too hard using the 3d baker that comes with vray. It was originally designed to bake procedural maps for use with displacement.

percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Percy:
        I'm not sure what you're saying. I did a test with Render Normal plugin from Discreet. Now that I have a Normal map I thought there might be a way of converting the Normal Map color palette into grayscale height values. Is this what you're describing or are you talking about creating the displacement map solely with Bake3d?

I'm thinking this could be a good way to render plants but I'd have to test it. I wonder if it would make sense to make a wish for VRayDisplacement to understand Normal Maps?

--Jon

Comment

well I haven't tried the normal render plugin..will have to check it out. I just assumed it was mapped onto your geometry, and if it was and could be used in the diffuse map, then you could use bake3d to create a flattened out image of your mesh with the normal map applied. Anyways Ill check it out and see what I can come up with. Where did you find the plugin?

percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I see what you're saying.

Found it here
            http://www.maxplugins.de

Search for normal map and it's the one from Discreet.

I was just testing it with Greeble on a sphere and trying to match it with VRayDisplacement on another.

--Jon

Comment

lol...i just found "object texture" plugin at same website and did this:

the plane has the bump map created from the normal map of the torus and its DESIGNED to be used for that stuff... It will also bake the texture for you...really neat

percy

EDIT: found your plugin but it hasn't been recompiled yet for max 6...shameful

Comment

hi there,

it´s probabely impossible to convert normal maps to bumpmaps
                due to a normal map doesn´t contain height informations. It just
                stores the (vertex) normal vectors of a high poly object into the map of a
                lowpoly object. I´ve made some tests and will post some screenshots
                here the next days.

Comment

just found another interresting link about normal maps and
                  non realtime rendering

http://www.drone.org/
                  http://www.drone.org/tutorials/displacement_maps.html

Comment

Anyone know what the plans are regarding support for normal maps in Vray? Not just creating them (plenty of tools to do that already) but rendering models with displacement? Maybe a normal map modifier like the displacement one in there already?

Comment

In general, there is no "good" way to recreate a displacement map, given only a normal map. You should create both maps at once.

As far as VRay is concerned, there are several plugins out there for 3dsmax that can map normal maps onto objects; some of these even work with VRay. Native VRay support for normal maps is not too difficult to implement, perhaps as a special slot in the VRay material.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

now THAT would be uber sweet!

percy

Comment

Yes Please

--Jon

Comment

these are good news !!!

Vlado: What do you think about the idea of using something like normal
                            maps for anisotropic reflections. Could this somehow be implemented ?

Comment

Working...
                            X