Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about photon mapping

Hi everyone,
    I have something to ask about global photon mapping as used for secondary bounces in an interior scene:

I just need to know, really,which is better at the end, to use direct computation or global photon mapping for the sceondary bounces? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?And when to use which of them?

The comparision must be about interior scenes, using lets say, environment multiplier along with an direct light as sun, and a VRay light or more, with many bounces.

I'm sorry if my questions are in general, but I don't mind getting in-general answers, I just want to concentrate my work around one method of interior rendering.

When I use direct it take alot longer to render than photon mapping, but with less artifacts, I would like to ask you about this thing as well.

Some help please.

Still no replies

I will then try to reshape my question, I'm not new to VRay, I know how to use it very well, but I really didn't use global photon mapping in a project yet (for secondary bounces), I made some tests though.

What I really want to know, should I try using it? I mean does photon mapping give better quality or speed (interior scenes)? Coz I usually use direct computation for the secondary bounces, and it's very slow for interior scenes.

Please give me some clues.

Comment

photon mapping is usually best for interiors,(even if u have only indirect lighting u can stull use vray skylight portal) /
      with direct computation...you'll have to wait until the next moon phase to be finished in interior.(i think) Irradiance map also coul be good, depends on scene. For exapmle If u have big windows, (or many) no need PMap I think. So experiment.

Comment

Thanks man,

About skylight portals, could you make it more clear to me, I mean,

What I know that you must use direct to generate bounces when using the envinonment multiplier, so then,if I want to use photon mapping, can I use max default skylights? or try using the skyportal feature?

Comment

Working...
        X