Linear Workflow: Vray to Photoshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear Workflow: Vray to Photoshop

Firstly, I feel the need to apologies...I just hope this thread doesn't irritate anyone.

I'm using a Linear Workflow as this is best practice, its all fine but I have never ever gotten Adobe Photoshop to view my renders from 3DS MAX and VRay properly.

Frankly, Photoshop makes my renders look like a pile of shit....and that really does frustrate me....it has for many years.

I am uncomfortable to link people to my blog but I chose to centralize my problem there. If its not against courtesy and if I may indulge you, I would like to offer a link to my Blog post here:

Link

I feel like I am about to make a Demo-Reel I can be proud of this year and I don't want a silly problem like this to hold me back. I am posting on Vray forums for help although it could be a Photoshop problem. Please Help Me...I have been studying for so many years to get the basics right. I just need some one to show me.

I purchased a Licencee of VRay, so im not a Pirate person asking for help.

Thanks so much if you can do it. I just hope I am communicating clearly what the problem is. Its so hard doing this by myself.
    Last edited by stevejjd; 03-06-2015, 12:00 AM.

I opened the exr in my version of Photoshop here with the settings you described. Everything looks correct to me. Mind you that PS has huge problems correctly displaying gradients in 32bit mode. These artifacts always disappear after conversion to 8bit.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

It looks good for me in Photoshop too (identical to Nuke). Im not getting the banding issue you have in your image. And thats while its still in 32bit mode in photoshop.
      Im using CS5 however, so im not sure if some problems have been introduced in later PS versions
      CG Artist - RnD and CG Supervision at Industriromantik

Comment

All is fine here too. Maybe it's your monitor? Have you checked it on other computers? I'm using Photoshop CC.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thank you so much guys, I'm so glad its working for you. I think it must be my computer monitor or something. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Its a Dell 2209WA and its about 7-8 years old
          Last edited by stevejjd; 03-06-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
            Thank you so much guys, I'm so glad its working for you. I think it must be my computer monitor or something. Thanks so much for taking the time.

Its a Dell 2209WA and its about 7-8 years old
            It's weird, because if it's looking good in Vray on your monitor it should look more or less the same in photoshop too.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Ah......I just dont know what to do. ......

If I can get it to work in AE then its probably not my monitor.

Its gotta be Photoshop or something.

Thanks heaps for even caring and taking the time.

I did get this working on My MacBook Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm gonna just do my best to get colours accurate and make them precise on my Mac in Post production.

Thanks so much again.
              Last edited by stevejjd; 03-06-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I just tried it on my mac with a trial version of Nuke and Photoshop - I think it looks perfect!

I have no idea why its not working on my PC, the problem is too odd, rare and hard to fix so I will just do all my post production on my MacbookPro.

Comment

Try to reset PS. Maybe, you messed with a setting.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com
                  e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                  phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                  • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i deleted all the preferences and reinstalled it. I also hold down Ctr +Shift + Alt to delete the preference file.

Hey guys, if you save a .jpg from Nuke...does it look perfect to you in Windows Photo Viewer and Adobe Bridge? It looks so bad for me. the only way it looks nice is if load it back into Nuke or upload it to the internet.

Maybe windows is screwing with me?

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
                      Thanks for the advice, i deleted all the preferences and reinstalled it. I also hold down Ctr +Shift + Alt to delete the preference file.

Hey guys, if you save a .jpg from Nuke...does it look perfect to you in Windows Photo Viewer and Adobe Bridge? It looks so bad for me. the only way it looks nice is if load it back into Nuke or upload it to the internet.

Maybe windows is screwing with me?
                      As suspected this has something to do with Windows (I think). I had it a few years back with Windows Photo Viewer, showing my images with that 'posterize' effect. You should be able to fix it in Control Panel > Color Management. Although I don't know how exactly because it's kind of over the top of my head; but that should at least push you in the direction of the solution.
                      A.

---------------------
                      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yes, yes I just thought of that as I got you email!

Ill do my best and tell you how it goes....this is such a dog of a problem....near tears of frustration. It takes time away from doing my demo reel and I want to be a freelance artist. Having a problem like this makes me doubt myself.

Thanks so much for caring and taking the time.

Comment

This shouldn't be that much of a problem and certainly not something that should make you doubt yourself, I suspect the color management of your monitor isn't going so well for a few programs. Maybe try resetting them to their defaults and if they're not set at defaults try finding a color management file for your specific monitor.
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Wait! I fixed IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	Solution.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	856236

Can you guys cross check yours?

Comment

Indeed it should be something like that. Mine at work doesn't have any profiles but I haven't got any problems viewing things

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	856238
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                              X