Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Rendering GI -an approach with compositing + HDRI

Hi,

Below, I have listed some thoughts for creating an animation of an Interior with GI lighting -
    with a very low memory foot print. Unfortunately I am not real sure if it works - it would be nice to hear
    your thoughts on the subject. I have been gathering bits n pieces of info from the net - but have not found any
    single tutorial linking all the bits together.

1. Build Interior shell only eg Walls,Ceilings, Floor,Doors,Window Openings. (no furniture)

2. Apply Materials to above objects.

3. Place Lights in scene (eg sunlight + skylight through openings + interior spot lights)
    to simulate how light behaves in shell.

4. Create a HDRI image for each Space - multiple rendered shots around empty room, stitched together to form a panorama.

5. For each room, render furniture items one at a time using the HDRI image for that room. This way we can match the room
    lighting to the furniture item. (Not sure how to scale the hdri lighting to the scene)

6. Composite the rendered furniture item into the empty lit room using Z-depth etc.

7. Create the contact Layer for the furniture and composite. Ambient Occulsion Pass with Furniture and floor on , but
    Skylight with only secondary bounce.

8. Create the Shadow Layer for the furniture and composite.

I have not had any luck using irradiance maps in say vray to accomplish this - I seem to get very odd effects
    on my furniture. So maybe using hdri lighting might be a better way to achieve the lighting for the composite.

If someone out there could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated indeed.

Thanks ppls,

James

Im wondering what you are trying to achieve this way, if the subject of your animation is a room full of furniture then rendering an incremental Imap every 10 or 20 frames would give you excellent results in a short time. Compositing for this kind of scene would be pointless.

the kind of work flow you jave described (compositing I mean) would work more for animated characters on a static background. Actually Richard Rosenman described his technique in detail in a post some time ago. just do a search for "animation" you should find it

regards

Comment

The reason for the compositing of the furniture is that it will save memory, particularly when one reaches 2.7GB of memory usage . A irradiance map every 15-20 frames will not work if one exceeds the memory limit of your system. Furniture can be extremely complex - so yes one can try reducing the face count - but that is extremely time comsuming.

I guess thats my goal .

James

Comment

oh yeah never thought of that ...

Comment

Working...
        X