Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon EC2 - 3dsmax/bb/vray on Linux

Hey guys,
    I'm more and more thinking of getting renders on the cloud.
    I have it already running on Amazon EC2 without and issue, but I was wondering if there was a easy way to get a 3dsmax/backbruner/vray setup on Linux.

The price is 4.22x times cheaper on linux, and it would make a huge difference to get it working on Linux

We obviously make massive use of plugins in max so I'm not sure if exporting to vrscene would be the way to go.

Is there any trick on getting a max/bb/vray workflow easily ported on Linux?

Cheers
    Stan
    Stan

i dont think its possible is it? cant get max on linux, so no max plugins are ever gonna be usable.. maybe run them in a windows emulator

Comment

You "can" render 3dsmax scene on linux : export vrscene ---> VRayStandalone.
      I didn't test with a production scene but i am curious to know from Chaos what problems do we can have.
      I know about specific 3dsmax plugin like Forest Pack and other thing, but what else ?
      www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post

Is there any trick on getting a max/bb/vray workflow easily ported on Linux?
        How deep are your pockets?

Short of buying the 3dsMax division then spending a few years shelling out money for the development team I would say no. You need source code, skill, and time and even then the port would be a pain in the arse. You might be able to do the whole thing for 400-500 million US dollars after you pay the lawyer fees etc.. etc...

As Super GNU said.. your best bet at this point is to use a virtual machine to try running Windows in a Virtual Machine or possibly with Wine but even them I am guessing there will be pathing headaches. Best to just bill your projects according to how much they cost to actual produce and let someone else deal with the headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy homeless guy View Post
          How deep are your pockets?

Short of buying the 3dsMax division then spending a few years shelling out money for the development team I would say no. You need source code, skill, and time and even then the port would be a pain in the arse. You might be able to do the whole thing for 400-500 million US dollars after you pay the lawyer fees etc.. etc...

As Super GNU said.. your best bet at this point is to use a virtual machine to try running Windows in a Virtual Machine or possibly with Wine but even them I am guessing there will be pathing headaches. Best to just bill your projects according to how much they cost to actual produce and let someone else deal with the headaches.
          We are talking about to render vrscene from 3dsmax on linux with VRay standalone. Not 3dsmax directly on linux.
          www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by bigbossfr View Post
            We are talking about to render vrscene from 3dsmax on linux with VRay standalone. Not 3dsmax directly on linux.
            i believe the original post was asking how to render 3dsmax scenes *with plugins used* under linux.. in this case exporting to vrscene is no use.

Comment

Working...
            X