Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matte object shadow Question/Problem

Hello Everyone.

I always have problems with matte object shadows that are overlapping with other shadows. It is difficult for me to explain my problem, but I hope you can see what I mean with the attached Images:

The Final Image:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Final_image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	884806

I rendered the Environment (Road with Trees and the Car is hidden)

Name:	02_Env_image.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	884807

Then I unhide my car, select the Trees and the Road and in the Vray properties I do Matte -1 and check the "Shadows" & "Affect alpha":

Name:	03_Car_image.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	884808
    this is the alpha.

Name:	03b_Car_image_alpha.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	884809

If I put this together the result will look like that:

Name:	04_Car_image_comp.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	884810

What I did in the past, I rendered the Environment with the shadow of the car: (See the next Post because I only can attach 5 images)

Name:	05_Footage_ENV.jpg
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	862438

In a second pass I rendered the Car without shadows and this looks fine then:

Name:	05_Footage_Comp.jpg
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	862439

And my question now is if there is any way to render the Environment without the Cars shadow. So I can change the movement of the car and do not need to render the Environment again.
    I know in my case I can only render the road with the shadows again and put in on top of the Environment, but I hope I can stay with 2 Layers.

I have a Max 2014 and Max 2016-File attached
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ; 22-06-2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

I don't think there is a way to do that. The problem is that the shadows of the trees cannot be clipped by the car when the car is missing.
      The easiest option maybe would be to use V-Ray Sphere Fade feature and render the car along its shadow, that approach will preserve the 2 layers setup and will allow you to change the path of the car without having to recalculate the environment layer.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Ok, so you mean i will render the Environment without car and shadow and in the 2nd pass i render again everything + the Car but i have to link a V-Ray Sphere Fade to the Car. So i only render the Car with the sphereregion around the car and the shadow. Right?

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.
          Another option would be to remove the overlapping shadows by using lighting/shadows render elements and matte-shadow masks but this will require additional render passes and the end result might have some artifacts.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
          X