New Highlight/reflect options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Highlight/reflect options

I kinda dont understand something. The new vray material has an option to add a fake highlight, but you have to either have the refl. glossies blurred, or have a reflection with a highlight. Why cant we just add a highlight, with out the reflection? or the blurred reflection? Im trying to make a fast rendering alum. with only highlights, I dont want to you interpulation, nor do i want to use blurred reflections.

I hope that in the future you can turn off the Refl. glossies completly, and have a highlight only, or that the standard material was full intergrated into vray.

travis

Ditto

I would LOVE it if max's materials were supported fully.
    www.seraph3d.com
    Senior Generalist
    Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
    Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

uncheck trace reflections and youll have it.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

thanks percy, i forgot all about that setting, but my comment about hte fully supported standard material would still be great. That should be one of the things that are add to 2.0, well, maybe im getting ahead of myself.

travis

Comment

You're a champion Percy. I've been mystified by the fake specular since the first time I used VRay. I don't know why I haven't heard anyone else mention this solution.

Maybe it's too obvious and it just didn't occur to me.

SunnyC

Comment

unchecking the "trace reflections" option only truly works with the new hilight glossiness option.

Unfortunetly, if some reflections are needed, you are still kinda stuck, since highlight and reflection are still tied together.

Comment

yeah...it's still not fully "fake" like in max...hehe ....

paul.

Comment

true. Its closer to what we need but it needs more work. Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion that this is it for awhile.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

unchecking the "trace reflections" option only truly works with the new hilight glossiness option.

Unfortunetly, if some reflections are needed, you are still kinda stuck, since highlight and reflection are still tied together.
                  Pardon me, but I was pretty sure no reflections were traced as long as you unchecked the trace reflection box in the options rollup. The fact that the reflection amount colour swatch controlls the hilight strength is just vlado trying to relieve us from one more spinner in the interface. Fake hilights always render smooth regardless of what your subdivs are set to.
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

also true. but I would still prefer the old method. Its a little quicker in the workflow department IMO.

Comment

But don't specular highlights only occur from things that have reflections? If it was a truly matte materialed object couldn't it have no harsh light?

Comment

Working...
                      X