Refraction Reflecting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refraction Reflecting?

I hope I put this thread in the right forum!

I have an underwater scene I'm creating, and have a VRay Material that has refraction, but NO reflection for the water (so it will refract the sky). But for some reason, it's reflecting the ground surface under the water. I don't understand why this happens. Can anyone help? Is this normal?

I'm still fairly new to VRay. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by djanim8; 24-08-2016, 08:29 AM.

if you could post a scene, it'd help us to help you.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I can't post my scene because of what I do/who I work for.. but I'll make an example scene real quick and upload it

Comment

OK this is a simple representation of the scene, with procedural materials. One render is with the water "on" and one with the water "off" The one with the water "on" reflects everything on the ground, and the material assigned has a black reflection, and white refraction.

The zip file has the 2016 Max scene.
        Attached Files

Comment

Is there something I can change to stop the reflection?

Comment

I checked the file, redid the shaders (the scene you shared had some complaint about missing maps/shaders), and got precisely your result.
            In fact, i added reflection and refraction REs and i got the refractions to show up in the reflection channel, not the refraction one.

I'll test a bit more today to see if there's anything obvious i missed, and if there isn't i'll file a bug report and let the pros deal with it
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Whether it's a bug, or it's expected, i don't quite know right now.
              However, flip the top plane (water) so its arrow points down and all will be as you want it.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Can't believe I never tried that! But if it's a bug, glad I brought it up

Comment

yep, we'll look into that, thanks a lot!
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                  X