Simulating a real world camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulating a real world camera

A while ago, this thread (http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ys=0&postorder) posed the question of why it is so hard to replicate certain real world camera effects with the current cameras and render settings in Vray and 3dsmax.

Has anyone ever thought about actually creating a more physical representation of a real world camera in 3dsmax? An accurate model of the lenses with the right material on them, positioned correctly may yield some good results.

I wanted to throw this idea out there and hear what people think. If its possible, we could get correct focusing, exposure, bokeh effects etc.

What d'ya say?

Well, that's a good idea... you have the right to try !! and show up your result...
    But i recently heard of a new rendering software called " maxwell render"

www.maxwellrender.com

and that's exactly the point of your post....accurate rendering light and accurate camera...not anymore a pinehole camera...

I think it's pretty slow...but sounds pretty cool...
    until then vray seems the best in his field !

Comment

is amazing lol... all ppl here are screaming and spitting blood waiting for 1.5... and at the same time requesting and suggesting more and more stuff.

I waz amazed by EGZ mockup for Vray camera rollout. VLADO probably cant keep up with all requests...and looking behind him @ maxwell that everyone started to talk about he cant release 1.5 containing equal or less ammount or features than any other compiting renderer. ( i can only guess )

as for bokeh effect: most of us can use post production video/image editing tools... it will be even faster to render alpha plane, insert it in AF or whatever, pattern blur it..or whatever you might think of.

DOF, again... render Z-Depth channel, use it, tweak it the way you wanna...

Same thing with MB, i am not gonna wasting my time anymore with Motion Blur, i use ****** ***** for Premiere which has an amazing motion blur estimation.

Am i missing the point here? how accurate you want your camera setup to be - with Scientific Precision?

Comment

I don't think he wants a new feature, he wants to build a camera out of geometry, right? Sounds cool but what would be the film? Would an orthographic camera work as the film/ccd? I imagine it would be hard to focus but it would be fun to use with zuliban's light box.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

isnt bokeh in the 1.4x series?

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

As RErender said, I don't want a new feature - I just wanted to explore the possibilities of modelling the lenses inside of max and rendering from as if you were looking through it.

For example: pick a particluar model of film camera, accurately model its lenses, apply an accurate material to its physical counterpart and offset the lenses to a particular focus.

I don't claim to know all about real world cameras, hence the reason I started this thread. There are lots of you out there that would be able to give some feedback as to whether this idea could work or not.

Da_elf: If it is, I haven't seen it yet, might try a test. I don't think its mentioned in the help document.

Comment

I dont think the level of accuracy within max would support that

Comment

why not make this the next contest. the 1st person to create a working lens that can support DOF and Bokeh. hehe. i would be tempted to say lens flare as well but i highly doubt it

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
                X