IES vs HDRI lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IES vs HDRI lights

Naturally i was pissed off by the render times of ies lights. So i started to fool around with them and normal lights to see if i could fake it. I setup a spot light and an ies in the same location and had the spot turned off. i only used it as a camera point to look at the image the ies light made on the ground. this i saved as an hdri then i loaded it into the projector slot of the spot light.

IES light

Spot Light Multiplyer = 1 HDRI Multiplyer = 1

Spot Light Multiplyer = 2 HDRI Multiplyer = 1

Spot Light Multiplyer = 3 HDRI Multiplyer = 5

Spot Light Multiplyer = 1 HDRI Multipley = 40

So it seems the closer you get to looking like the IES light it seems you cant escape the render time. Best solution however was to use a lower light multiplyer and higher HDRI multiplyer

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

wow good test ....thanks

Comment

Hi Da_elf

thank s for the explanation

but could u suggest what do u mean for low value for a IES light source?

I never used them and so I don't know wich are high and low values for this kind of sources that I remember different from standard for intensity

thanks in advance
      Workstation: Asus p9x79WS I7 3930K Noctua NH-D14@4200GHz SE2011 16GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Beast SSD 500Gb Samsung x2 SATA3 WD raid edition4 64MB GTX760 2GB DDR5 CoolerMaster 690III

https://www.facebook.com/essetreddi..../photos_albums

Comment

You would need inverse square falloff for the light, if you want to model an IES light source, too.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yeah. my spot was using inverse square.

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

pengo...what did you mean by asking what i meant by low value for ies lights. i never said anything about low values.

Comment

Working...
            X