Importing Materials from Maya .vrscene not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Materials from Maya .vrscene not working

I have a complex scene in Maya with vray materials. It is a large city scape with hundreds of materials and textures. I am trying to get it into Blender, and then convert it to Cycles. I do not care about preserving parameters of the materials at all except for diffuse color and textures. I have attempted to export from maya with regular formats like .obj, .dae, and .fbx. These gives me the material names and colors and some parameters like roughness and spec, but they completely lose the textures. Materials that had textures all come in as black.

Looking around, it seems that these formats do not work with vray materials at all. So now I am trying .vrscene. I see that blender vray cannot import mesh from a .vrscene, but can import materials. However when I try this option, it only creates a single generic lambert material. There are no errors in the console. I don't have any way of knowing if this is a problem with the import or the export, or if its a bug.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? Or is there some other method? The only thing that matters is that I pair the right texture with the right material in the end. Even if I can just get a list of which texture is assigned to which material, I can assign it in cycles with a script. I just need some way to deal with this as a batch since there's too many files to do manually.

Thanks!

Hello Oscalon,

Yes, .obj, .dae, .fbx file formats do not support V-Ray Materials, like posted in this thread, .vrmat and .vrscene file formats support V-Ray materials.
    Currently it looks like there is some issue with importing those format into Blender - I already opened an issue about that into our system so hopefully we'll manage to address it quickly.

Best Regards,
    Svet
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
    X