Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A small note on reference - Medium Format digital cameras - Download RAW Samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small note on reference - Medium Format digital cameras - Download RAW Samples

Hey all

I'm only now truly discovering the importance of ultra-high rez photos and the EXTREME importance of photography!

Because I'm too poor to hire a camera, I did google searches, looking up things like "Hasselblad samples".

Hooooooly sshhiiiiit. Daam. Seriously. Medium Format digital cameras are incredible.

Do you think maybe Chaos group can hire a 60 Thousand dollar Hasselblad and take tonnes of reference photos for us? - The reference can be of street photography, portraits, objects, substances.

I think because I can't afford even a shit camera that some lucky employee at Chaos group should be given a Hasselblad immediately to go and capture nature, so we poor butt holes can download the RAW files.

There are many resources like photogrammetry, scan data, scanned materials but I think Chaos group should build a high rez RAW photo library for reference.

For example, I feel that many projects that feature "photo-real" skin, faces, interior spaces, architecture are all super fake looking.

Im just going to say it....sorry. If you compare actual photos with CG, most of what is considered photo real CGI is actually not.

Since it all comes back to photography we should have Chaos Group take photos that would be great reference for us artists.

I think this is an exciting idea. (Please do it, because it's my birthday and I wish for a 60K Hasselblad)
    Steve ~
    Last edited by stevejjd; 06-07-2020, 05:23 PM.

I have a sample portrait photo from a Hasselblad next to a photo real rendering of a face. Many, many, many so called "Photo-real" face renderings are really not.

There is no makeup on top of the peachfuzz, no makeup residue, no bits of dead skin. The CGI ones all look like the person has super exfoliated and their skin is hyper clean.

In Photo, you can actually see bits of dust on eyelashes, tiny blobs of mascara, cockroach legs stuck in fabric.....You can see the rainbow of the sun through peachfuzz hair, the uneven blotches of melanin in hair...

I will continue later..I gota go

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
      There is no makeup on top of the peachfuzz, no makeup residue, no bits of dead skin. The CGI ones all look like the person has super exfoliated and their skin is hyper clean.

In Photo, you can actually see bits of dust on eyelashes, tiny blobs of mascara, cockroach legs stuck in fabric.....You can see the rainbow of the sun through peachfuzz hair, the uneven blotches of melanin in hair...
      Welcome to the world of high-res print rendering and retouch!

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Tv production crews were scared to death when we swapped to HD since you'd be able to see the shoddy edges of their work, bad makeup lines and so on!

I changed cameras a few years back as I was potentially going to be supervising a friends film so I got a sony a7r2. There's no filter on the sensor so it's far sharper than others at 42 mpx. Their lenses are incredible too so if you want a reference camera I'd highly recommend it. I have the model 2 which is a few years old and cheaper than current but it's an utter beast for vfx ref.

Comment

Cool, Thanks so much @joconnell
          I am researching cameras and don't know what to get. I can't afford to buy, so I was thinking to hire. I have heard many good things about the Sony A7 cameras.

"Welcome to the world of high-res print rendering and retouch!" - This sounds like an awesome job, I wish I thought of it before.

Comment

The a7r series are the ones with no low pass filter in front of the sensor so they're veeeeery sharp for stills. Sony lenses are good for about double the resolution that the current sensors can produce too. My only complaint about the older series that I have is the battery life is a bit shite, pictures are great though.

Comment

Working...
            X