Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying VRay Displacement to geometry imported from Revit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying VRay Displacement to geometry imported from Revit.

Just wondering if anyone has any workflow tips for using VRay displacement on on geometry that has been imported from Revit.

I generally link and FBX and have Max collapse the geometry by Revit Material. Then I Bind the link, reset Xform and so on. Typically we are use displacement for bricks and on the smaller schemes I remodel some of the faces. However on bigger schemes this can be a pretty lengthy exercise. Guess I'm wondering if there is a faster or smarter way of doing this. I generally find unless you rebuild the mesh you get what looks like pinching in the displacement - Attached are some images. Its a bit more obvious in the AO snippet. Its not a massive problem on views from a bit of a distance but on some of shots which are closer, unless the displacement settings are quite high

We don't have the quad remesher script, I'm not sure if that would work in this instance but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used it in this capacity. And just generally any tips people might have for this workflow.

We use bercon tiles in conjunction with multitexture for creating brick textures. Bercon tile is set to an explicit 2D map channel. 2D Displacement generally produces a 'cleaner' displacement but I don't think it looks as good as the 3D mapping in the final images. It also produces a weird result where the multitexture maps don't seem to line up with the displaced mesh (Also see attached).

Thanks,
    Dominic
    Last edited by Dominic_Patel; 09-09-2020, 05:48 AM.

just use a subdivide modifier, you want a pretty dense mesh for displacement.

Comment

Oh yeah... so obvious now you've said it. Not sure why I've never thought to use the subdivide modifier! Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X