Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah LUTS! Both fun and confusing at the same time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah LUTS! Both fun and confusing at the same time!

I've been trying to wrap my head around LUTS and get them more integrated into my workflow, but I've never been able to get them to look right. Today while doing some testing, I noticed that it was primarily because I work in 16 bit n Photoshop and that was throwing off the LUT as compared to applying it directly in the VFB or in 32 bit in Photoshop. So if I want to use a particular LUT, it should be applied in the VFB and NOT in Photoshop?

I do enough other adjustments in Photoshop that I can't stay in 32 bit because as we all know, there are layer styles like overlay that do not work in 32 bit. I can't use Affinity as it doesn't have the auto-update layers like Photoshop has (or it doesn't function as clean as Photoshop) and when I'm doing 50 revisions for designers it is nice to just hit a button and all of my layers update to the latest rendering. I'm trying to keep my process as streamlined as possible.

Is there any way to get the LUT to act in 16 bit as it does in 32 bit in Photoshop? If not, then I think I'm going to have to do the work in the VFB and bake it in, which isn't a bad workflow. I would like to get to develop my look sooner rather than waiting until it has rendered completely.

In the attached image, the RAWs are straight from the VFB with nothing applied other than reduced highlight burns. The Baked in VFB is the comparison with the LUT applied in the VFB. The Photoshop ones are the comparison of taking the top RAW's and applying the LUT in Photoshop at 32 and 16 bit, and as you can see, the 16 bit one is much brighter than everything else. This is why I could not wrap my head around why my LUTS just didn't work the way they were supposed it and why it felt like I was over-bright everything no matter what LUT I chose.

VFB applies the LUT on the 32bit file, no?
    I think thats the difference.
    I havent tested it, but take the 32bit render into After Effects and try the LUT on top. Maybe it will look the same? Highlight burn probably has to be done in After Effects too, though...its probably complicated LOL
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Working...
    X