Why does my bump map not work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my bump map not work?

Similar questions have been posted in the past, I know, but many seem to be from years ago and therefore, the constant update from Chaos Group has rendered the premises of the answer provided there mostly useless, unfortunately.

I have been going through a paid tutorial and in a particular instance, the tutorial advises "If you want to render the hard edges to look softer, without going through the trouble of fillet edges, you can go to V Ray Asset Editor, select the material you are applying to the object you want soft edges, and turn on bump map. There, at Mode/Map select "Bump Texture Channel" and select "edge" at the checked map icon"

Issue is, in the latest V-Ray, there's no such thing as "Bump texture channel"
    It only has "Bump map" or "Normal map". In the tutorial I have seen, it had the third option "Bump texture channel"

I ignored the lack of this selection and proceeded to set "edges" and selected width to about 0.16, and hoped it would work but alas, of course it doesn't.
    The model (it's a metallic ring, I downloaded from the tutorial resources to practice) completely ignores the bump map.

See attached screenshot - It shows the bump map "edges" I have set under this generic material I created "White Gold", applied to the layer "White" ...which is where the object (the ring model) is applied to.
    I did some research and found word that it works on mesh objects, so I converted the object to mesh using "Mesh" command - and yet, it doesn't work.

I've given up - don't know what makes a bump map work and not work.
    Could anyone shed some light on this please?

Just guessing but as it seems that the 3d model was modeled using nurbs , this way creates many patches and convert them into mesh gives you many meshes.
    I think that you have to weld the vertices of the different meshes to get the effect you want

EDIT: uhmm.. probably I'm not completely right... I've tested what I wrote but it seems it's working also without weld the vertices...it seems it's enough to attach the meshes as a single object... at least, testing using a cube it worked both with vertices welded and not welded... but it's not working if I detach the single faces of the cube
    From left to right
    single object cube with welded vertices, single object cube with unwelded vertices, multiple planes/objects that build the cube

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	183
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1176662
    Last edited by bardo; 27-03-2023, 02:25 AM.

Comment

hey thanks for trying it out - I actually figure the trick.

Turns out I need to "add" another bump option. So, I go to the toggle the icon next to the show advanced settings (the 3 lines icon) and it lets me add another bump menu.
      In this newly added menu, I can apparently choose "Bump Texture Channel" and the edge softening takes effect.

I don't know why the default bump map doesn't let me choose though.
      In case any one in V-Ray 5 is having the same issue, here's the solve.

Comment

Working...
      X