• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpnichols
    Originally posted by dlparisi
    Originally posted by Sawyer
    Ok where can I find time lapsed HDRI's?
    Thanks
    http://gl.ict.usc.edu/skyprobes/
    Yeap... that is the only one known to mankind. That is because Paul is the only one crazy enough to capture a full day's worth of HDRIs by hand.

Actually... I think he made some interns do it... but still.
    I thought he said he setup a timer? I'm still looking for an excuse to use these... they didn't work well for environment lighting, but I haven't yet tried them with mapping to a domelight. They were taken on a roof within walking distance from me...

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel
      vlado its a bit unclear what light cache interpolation samples to 5, is it in screen space or in world?
      also why 100 max samples? I remember you saying that 1/5 is more then enought? has this been changed?
      I think you are miss understanding what he means.
      He is talking about the interpolation samples for the Filter when set to nearest.. not the subdivs for LC, which is what is relevant to the screen/world that you mentioned

Vlado,
      You mentioned setting the Maximum QMC AA to 100, I assume this is so that if the sampler needs higher AA it will use it otherwise it wont. Where as increasing the min samples would make the render times alot long as it forces the AA to always use more samples... correct?

Comment

As i understood it that´s basically correct. The Key to make it work is setting adaptive amount to 1 tho. if adaptive amount is lower it will use a shitload of samples more. IF adaptive is set to 1, the QMC Image Sampler will decide how much samples are needed for a specific noise threshold.

Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by Dynedain
          Originally posted by cpnichols
          Originally posted by dlparisi
          Originally posted by Sawyer
          Ok where can I find time lapsed HDRI's?
          Thanks
          http://gl.ict.usc.edu/skyprobes/
          Yeap... that is the only one known to mankind. That is because Paul is the only one crazy enough to capture a full day's worth of HDRIs by hand.

Actually... I think he made some interns do it... but still.
          I thought he said he setup a timer? I'm still looking for an excuse to use these... they didn't work well for environment lighting, but I haven't yet tried them with mapping to a domelight. They were taken on a roof within walking distance from me...
          Yeah... I think he timed his interns as they ran up to the roof, took 12 pictures and ran back... I'm kidding, I am not sure what timing method they used. I will ask him next time I see him. But one thing is for sure, tthey did it long before anyone else.

Comment

And it ROCKS....sadly i never recieved the promised copy of the DVDs with the full set...you might wanna poke him and tell him to send it cp :P

Thorsten

Comment

well, if you take software like psremote
              http://www.breezesys.com/PSRemote/index.htm
              and use spherical lenses you can probably automate the whole process

so no need to torture the poor interns

Comment

They wrote their own control app seemingly :

For capturing the sky we used a Canon EOS-1ds with a Sigma 8mm lens. To control the camera, we used the Canon Digital Camera SDK. This C library provides the ability to set camera settings such as F-stop and exposure time, release the shutter remotely, and download images via firewire or USB.
                Thorsten

Comment

how is it possible to use multiple hdr maps to create an animated sky? A mix map only has two slots.....

i.e.
                  This is using Debevec's timelapse HDR sequence and the vray dome system. I did not have to get the noise as low. .0005 worked here so the render time is faster naturally at avg of 33 min/frame.
                  http://throb.net/vray/qmc_test_timelapse.mov
                  what is the set up here please? A client has asked me to produce exaclty this shot...

Comment

The method I used for the sequence below is to render the animation through MaxScript in a cycle, e.g. change the hdr map, render a frame, save it, move on to the next:
                    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/st...s/skyprobe.avi

In newer builds the VRayHDRI map supports IFL file sequences.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

and for those without newer versions, nor scripting abilities, a bitmap map might just as well do it through the loading of an IFL...

Lele

Comment

vlado, i am confuse, after much discussions on the forum about linear workflow, and looking at chris's dvd i started using gamma correction with great success, now you are saying that "For builds of v-ray before 1.49.30 Do not use color mapping other than linear, otherwise you risk to get an incorret result in the end." Please explain

Cecil G

Comment

He means when using the setup he posted in this thread! not generally

Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by cecil gittens
                            vlado, i am confuse, after much discussions on the forum about linear workflow, and looking at chris's dvd i started using gamma correction with great success, now you are saying that "For builds of v-ray before 1.49.30 Do not use color mapping other than linear, otherwise you risk to get an incorret result in the end." Please explain

Cecil G
                            If you remember on the DVD, and it has been outlined a few times on this forum... there are two ways to do the linear workflow. A) the best way is to keep everything linear and apply the gamma curve to the viewer. B) Burn the gamma curve into the image using the color mapper... he is saying to make sure and not use the B methood, and if you want to to do a linear workflow use the A method.

Comment

Thanks chris, This is what i have been doing, with great results, and with little or no p.s., I think i am using methord "B" by doing a gammar correction for my color mapping, using DM=1 and BM 0.4343 i do not apply the curve in viewer and the image looks the same in PS as it does in the viewer. I am using the latest offical Vray build 1.47.03
                              this is why i am confuse when vlado said you will get incorrect results.

Cecil G

Comment

remember, for 99% of our uses if it looks correct it is. :P
                                Eric Boer
                                Dev

Comment

Working...
                                X