Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay Sun, Sky and Physical Camera video tut + Bonus Script!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I can see the light. No tunnel tho

Looks good mate

Comment

• Originally posted by flipside

For me it seems that this method has the gamma 2.2 advantages, but keeps the contrast as we were used to before the gamma 2.2 workflow. If a photographer would come and take a pic of this appartment, he would probably also use extra light to brighten up the interior so that there wouldn't be this much contrast in lighting. I guess that's what needed in the 3d scene too. But then you would again come closer to the image with the 1.0 materials...

Not sure which way to go with all this. The fact that you need to put vraycolor maps everywhere is a bit of a hassle (even with the script).
      My tests shown me, the method affect the background intensity and the GI bounce intensity. So, I have done a test (writen above): decrease the sec GI at 0.25 and increase the background intensity - same effect like Leles method.
      Wouter, you could try to render your scenes with sec GI multiplier 0.25. I agree, it's a way to enhance the look of an image, to get more contrast if necessary. The GI multiplier is an easy solution for it.
      www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

• Yeah tried that too, not the same but similar:

(gi: first bounce multiplier + second bounce multiplier)

Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

• Honest, it took me three or four scans to understand which was which, and my straight preference went to the last one
          I liked it before knowing what it was.
          I much prefer the way the rug and couch look in relation to lights and shadows, and the way i read better materials like the flooring in mid-brightness areas.
          Surely it can be adjusted to look just right...

P.s.: i'll have to update the script asap, as i found a nasty bug when using it a second time to change the multiplier values: it nests the original vrayColor map into an output map, hence setting a first iteration at 0.255, and a second at absolute 0.255 would reduce swatches without a texturemap to 0.255*0.255 = 0.065. that's a tad too low even for me :P)

Lele

Comment

• Yeah noticed that bug too, suddenly my ceiling went dark grey

The 1st image on row2 looks quite similar too the last one, and the only thing you have to do there is setting the first bounce gi multiplier to 0.255. I already was used to setting it to 0.8 in all of my renders (I usually also set 2nd multiplier to 0.9 or something). So I'll think that for now I will stick to what I always did, but maybe with a first bounce gi multiplier in the range of 0.25 to 0.8, depending on the scene.

Lowering the first bounce GI also has a massive impact on rendertimes, just as the materials set to 0.255 does.
            Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

• Should have precisely the same effect for the GI part, but lowering the primary multiplier will not demultiply the direct diffuse coefficient, possibly leading to burns a bit quicker.

As for the script, yes, almost on it :P

Lele

Comment

• sheesh you and percy sure are gettting chummy in your signatures Lele

That bug seems a little glaring... you should really have stern talk to your beta testers... ahhh....

Comment

• http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/VRay_...erter_v1.1b.ms

Bugfixed.
                  I tried all I could imagine, and a bit, and it *seemed* to work.
                  Yeah, I'm gonna reduce the payrolls to my betatesters...
                  I wonder if they'll accept cheques with imaginary numbers in the amount box...

Lele

Comment

• Heh, I have a recovering WoW'r friend, he deleted his characters, closed his account, caught him playing again the other day thru xfire, excuse? "Just helping a friend level up..." I hope you guys get clean! :P
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

• Originally posted by RErender
                      Heh, I have a recovering WoW'r friend, he deleted his characters, closed his account, caught him playing again the other day thru xfire, excuse? "Just helping a friend level up..." I hope you guys get clean! :P
                      Ahahah, me too, me too!
                      At the moment i am still rejoicing at my offload of dramas, greed and time-wasting.
                      Playing something else of course, but nothing will ever catch me again in a similar way wow did.
                      err, i hope...

Lele

Comment

• Wouter, could you add a test with 0.8+0.8 to you scenes?

Some weeks befor I ask at the VfR forum for a general color/texture multiplier. I think, a small multiplier at 3dsmax could be good too - no extra script is needed. And user could quick text different multipliers - 0.225 ... 0.8 ... 1.

Comment

• Hey Micha, in fact the first one is already with 0.8+0.95...

here's one with 0.8+0.8. Don't look at rendertimes, I had hyperthreading turned off for this one, and was doing a lot of other stuff while waiting for the rendering.

Also you can't compare all 6 exactly, because I adjusted camera exposure to make them 'look' similar in brightness, I didn't measure anything to get exact results.

Comment

• Thank you Wouter. I add the image to your overview and I think, the exposure good match.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46...multiplier.jpg

Like I said befor, the 0.255 method affect the GI bounce and the reflection intensity of background (and emitters). Look at the reflective door.
                            But, if you would lower the reflection amount of the door, the sky would reflected right, but the reflection of all 0.255 materials will be to dark. We get a wrong relation between reflection of lights and reflections of diffuse materials. I suppose so, this was not Leles goal and is a side effect.
                            For me, the 0.8+0.8 is best looking.

Some months befor I tested to use 0.8+0.8, but it cause, that the LC pass brightness dosn't match with the final pass and I like to use the LC as a correct preview. Why does a primary GI multiplier cause it? I suppose, because the GI is set at 80% but not the direct visible color, this stay at 100% and so I get this brightness jump between prepass and final.
                            My conclusion was - a general color/texture multiplier is needed. Please read here:
                            http://www.asgvis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=900

And so my wish again: a general color/texture multiplier please, now for 3dsmax and VfR/VfSU.

Comment

• hey flipside. the sequence of images you had above. i think you left the lenscap on on the bottom right image

---------------------------------------------------
                              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

• No, I was testing the new vray physical eclipse simulator!

Comment

Working...
                                X