Bake3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bake3D

Could anybody tell me, how to use Bake3D utility? I hve installed it properly, but I don't know, how to run it.

Thx!

janper@pobox.sk

www.geocities.com/janperarch/max

Hi!

You'll find Bake3D on max's Utilities panel... Just press the "More..." button to make it appear.

If you have any trouble using it, let me now. I'll try to help!...

Regards,
    Luis

Comment

crashes

Hi Luis!

thanks for offering help, but I am also quite unsure how to get started with it. Each time I select something, Max crashes.

I use E version, Max4.26, at the moment and I don't see the "more" button in the "Bake3D" Pannel..

Case A:

- create a teapot, make it to EMesh.
      - press "generate tex coordinates"
      - press render lightmaps
      - BANG - Max out (crash)

Case B:

- create a teapot, make it to EMesh.
      - press "generate texture"
      - press render texmap
      - select Bitmap
      - it asks to open some map (??)
      - ok, I create an xyz.bmp empty image in photoshop and select it in the Vray pannel
      - now it renders (something very ugly) and then it crash...

It seems I missunderstood the concept...

thanks for the help in advance!

Well, it seems to be the qu
      ~~
      Igor Posavec
      http://www.3d-plugin.com
      -
      http://www.texturebaking.com

Comment

Hi there, Igor!

When I mentioned the "More..." button, I meant the one found in 3dsmax's Utilities Panel, not in Bake3D's panel...

Anyway, I think you didn't misunderstood the concept!... It's pretty much that! Convert an object to Editable Mesh, generate tex coordinates, and render texmap/lightmaps.

As for the "render texmap" feature, I found it particularly useful to render procedural maps, to later apply as a (standard) texture.

However, I do have problems when rendering objects with UVW modifiers applied to them. I suppose Bake3D simply doesn't handle them - at least, correctly... (Does anyone have a word on that?...)
        I made various tests, but I didn't work out a general solution for obtaining correctly baked textures in all cases, yet.

About max crashing, I'm afraid I can't help you... Could it be some incompatibility somewhere? I don't know...

Best wishes!
        Luis

Comment

Which version of Bake3D are you using? Is it from the standalone zip file or the one that's included with the latest build of VRay?

I believe Vlado fixed most of these problems with the latest version. I've done a series of tests and they all rendered out good.

-Jon

Comment

thanks!

Hi Luis & John!

thanks for your help - I solved the problem! It was always by the question "select map" Dilaog - I didn't choose an existing mapping from the Editor but selecting a completely new, VRay Map. It crashes always max.

thanks for the help!
            best regards
            ~~
            Igor Posavec
            http://www.3d-plugin.com
            -
            http://www.texturebaking.com

Comment

Hi Igor,
              Good to see you're getting it under control

Maybe you should also repost this on the bugs board so that Vlado can mark it down.

--Jon

Comment

Hi, Jon!

It says "version 0.5". I suppose it's not the one included with the latest build, I guess, but I'm glad to know that most of those problems seem to be fixed.

Cheers!
                Luis

Comment

Thanks all for help.
                  Now i can find bake3D, but i still have the same problem like Igor. Max crashes, whatever i choose from the Material editor dialog.
                  So, Igor, how did you solve it? Exactly which material do you use?
                  Whatever I choose, the result is the same - max vanishes!

Thank you again!

Comment

A question for Jon:

Imagine, for instance, some room's floor, with a VRay material applied to it. In the diffuse slot I have a (wood) texture, with tilings (u,v)=(1,1). The floor has a Planar UVW Map modifier applied, with VTile=10, for example. So, what's important here is that I want to manage the tilings with my UVW Map settings, specifically; not with the material ones.

When I hit 'Render lightmaps', no matter I (previously) generate tex coordinates or not, I always get a rendered wood texture with VTile=1.

I also get strange mappings when using Spherical (or other) UVW Maps...
                    So, once again, I'm led to conclude that Bake3D isn't reading UVW Map modifiers' settings correctly...

For this, I used Bake3D 0.5 from the latest build.

In a post above, you said you've performed a series of tests, and they all rendered out good. Have you tried something like what I mention above? Did it rendered out good?

Thanks in advance!
                    Luis

Comment

Bake3D will only sample maps within the [0,1] x [0,1] UV range. Further on, you should make sure that that the W coordinate in your mappings is always 0.0.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Luis: Sorry, I'm a little unclear of what you're saying. Sounds like it may be that you're not utilizing the independent mapping channels.

Vlado: What is the [0,1] x [0,1] UV range. Are you talking about tilign and how the map extends beyond the UV coordinates?

I'll see if I can find the last tests I did and post them so you can take a look

--Jon

Comment

re

Is there any step by step tutorials on bake3d. I don't get any crashes when I render out the lightmaps or the texture maps. I'm a little confused on what to do after both texmap and lightmap are done rendering. A shell material is created in the Mat editor, but in the material 1 slot my procederal map is still there (Am I suppose to put the temap in that slot?). In material slot 2 says baked material and there is a xxxx_lightmap.png in the self-illumination map slot. What is the next step after this?

Another thing, once everyting is said and done....are you suppose to delete all the lights then? Sorry I'm alittle lost here.
                          Indecisive archictects will be the death of us all.

Comment

At the end of the roll-out you should see "switch to baked materials" button , pusshing that will change to the baked materials, after that you can turn off the lights and GI, and render away
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

re

got it! thanx so much for your help.

ST
                              Indecisive archictects will be the death of us all.

Comment

Working...
                              X