Vray lights in windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray lights in windows?

Why some people are putting vray lights into windows (in interior scenes). Isn't GI enough to lighten the scene from simple skylight. What parameters do you use - are those lights perpendicular to the window, or rotated a litttle to simulate coming from the sun? If someone could please answer, it would be nice. ))

the VRay override environment is a great feature but a) you have to hide the window objects, and b) the Vray light with skylight checked will focus the light that comes through.

Comment

why do I have to hide the window objects - I never, ever hid them and everything was OK...

Comment

just if your using the override environmet

Comment

I also don't hide windows, enable GI refraction caustics and your light will come through.

The portal function is indeed used to get more light from the sky into the scene. You can also use vray area lights without the portal function checked. you'll have more control over your lighting and you can play with quality of the area shadows.
          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

hey.
            i just did some trials and errors on an indoor sceen with large curtain walls. in that scene there is a large outdoor section too, so the lighting solution had to be sufficient for both. i found out that using vray lights in the curtainwalls caused a too big gradient on the ceiling (as if the light is starting too high and decaying too fast), and that the floor in the room became lighter than the floor outside (in my case - same texture, so it's quite obvious and not very realistic). intead i found that pumping up the "generate GI" values of the curtain walls brings a better result (for my scene, at least).
            by the way, i read the never-ending-thread of deja-vu ("life is swell") and tried the same settings also, just didn't seem to bring it to the level he showed, have no idea what (or if) i'm doing something wrong.

Comment

I also don't hide windows, enable GI refraction caustics and your light will come through.
              The render times are fine with this? no hugh increase?

Comment

Why would you hide the windows?

Comment

It's an old trick from before Vlado implemented the GI caustics stuff

People still use it for lowering render times. Once the Irrad map has been calculated you can unhide the glass for VERY NICE FAST REFLECTIONS

--Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X